sixty-seven; the new rachel

Winona was finally getting used to the beautiful place that was New York. After Finn unexpectedly sent her off to live here alone, her and Mark found a very sweet roommate that she would be happy to split the rent with. His name was Elliott Gilbert— and he was a very sweet and fun guy to be around.  First meeting him and working out how they were gonna live together was quite easy, and their combined love of interior decorating made living together a breeze.

Still, she couldn't help but feel homesick. She texted Eric, Kurt, and Mark often, planned to have conference calls with Artie and Sam weekly, and called Finn at least three times a week. But he never answered.

Winona had never been so worried before. Every time she talked to those in Lima (especially Kurt), she would bring her boyfriend up. If Kurt had a dollar for every time she asked if he had heard from Finn, he could afford to fly to New York immediately.

Despite the lack of love in her life, Winona was getting by pretty well. Her room was decorated with photos of her family and friends, while also incorporating her interests— such as classic movie musicals, fashion, and horror movies. Elliott, who also called himself Starchild, did the same for his room, and they happily compromised on all of their thrift store furniture.

After a few days of searching, Winnie found a job at the 70s themed restaurant that Finn took her to in New York years ago, and it payed a decent amount. She also had met up with Rachel once or twice, but not very much, because of their conflicting schedules.

"Your phone's ringing!" Called Elliott from the living room as Winona was making tea. She frowned at the thought of being interrupted, but complied to go answer it.

"Eli, can you finish the tea for me?" She asked politely, earning a nod from the boy as she went to her room and put the phone to her ear.

"Sam! Artie! What's up?" Winona beamed, excited for their first ever Tuesday conference call.

"Don't whats up us, we need to what's up you!" Sam said, everyone able to hear his smile over the line, "How's New York? Have you met any cool people yet?"

"What he means is, have you replaced us yet?" Added Artie

"C'mon, I could never replace you guys. I literally made us my yearbook quote."

"Avoiding my question," Sam uttered, "how sketchy of you."

"Alright, fine, Detective Bieber. Yes. His name is Elliott and he's awesome."

The line fell silent. Winona cocked a brow, worried she had said something wrong.

Sam broke the silence first, "What about. . Finn?"

"Ohh," Winona sighed, she knew what this was about, "No— he's gay."

"Oh, thank god," Artie breathed out, "So. . . is he cooler than Blaine and Kurt?"

"We won't snitch if you say yes," Added Sam.

"Well, you've set the gay bar very low," She replied, quirking a smile.

The boys ooed, Sam exclaiming, "Burn!"

"No, no, I'm kidding. I miss Blaine and Kurt a lot— so let's say that they're all equally cool on the gay scale."

Before the conversation could continue, Elliott called to his roommate from the other room, "Winona, tea's ready!"

"Coming!" She called back, before talking back into the phone, "I gotta go. But first, how's Eric doing?"

"He's alright— trying to branch out and make new friends. Have you been watching Jacob Ben Israel's internet show? He's in it, we're all in it. And we're super popular now," Explained Artie.