10. settle in II

"Where did you bring this water from?" Jade asked me.

"Shut up and take the cup." He took it, of course.

After that, we went to Clean the little house. Jade first went to spray the bug repellent, after they were all dead, I went in to sweep the place clean with an old strong broom I saw around.

Dust were over some of the things. The water from the lake did us good as we washed the windows and floors with detergent and napkin from Jade's mysterious bag. Completely empty house apart from a Dusty rug, a rope and nail and lamp in the corner of the room. It was just one room, no bathroom, no kitchen too. We washed the rug and spread it outside. We decided to rest from working till the floor and rug was dried. While we were working, Jade and I told stories and jokes. The best jade ever did was to smile. He never laughed. This was the first time that it's not freezing and I didn't take my bath until noon. I thanked God for the numerous food Jade brought and I helped us with crunchy bread. My love for things that doesn't have to be put on fire first before getting consumed.

We made use of the joist. Jade hanged the curtains. We fixed the rug. I placed the gas cooker in one side of the room and the plates, spoons and cup next to it. Jade and I argued sometimes were this or that should be placed but ended up keeping them were I chose. We sang along as we worked. I wished the reason why we were here was for something fun rather than the situation we are in. My dad always said if wishes we're horses, beggars would ride.

'Steel babe, baby you are made of steel.' I encouraged myself.

"Alas!" I screamed like I'm a character in one of Shakespeare's novel. We finished at last except that jade refused to unpack the black mystery bag saying he has to surprise me with the content one after the other and I'll thank him. I let him have it just this it. I was never shy around jade. He brought out the real me that bullies had hidden. This was the same way I was free with Jaycinel but I couldn't talk to her about everything because, she's just a little kid. I can say that today, I was happy but there's no complete happiness without Jaycinel by my side.

We spread two mat on the ground and the blankets on them. Jade stayed in the room while I went to take my bath outside. I took water from the lake in a small bucket that he brought. I bath outside a little bit close to the lake but not as close that my bath water should enter the lake. Reasonably close. After I bath, jade had his bath too. I made two pack of noodles for jade and I as we talked.

"I pray we settle quickly here and Start our 'mission.'"

"Do you have any plans jade? Is not everyday you just decide that you'll stand up for some set of humans that's involved with government and hope you'll succeed. We need plans and strong plans that's what we need, I pray this is not a waste." I said.

"You're right Daisy, we would make out something but I really need to rest right now just like you." He smiled at me. Whenever jade smiled, it was always in his lips, his eyes always remained dim.

"But Jade..."

"But nothing." He cut me short and laid down on one of the mat.
I have never used a mat before, I was getting ready for a real bad back ache if I use the mat right now. I sang praise to God that I always had pain killers in my car.

"Jade, we have to talk." I yelled. I was sitting on the mat next his.

He pretended to snore. I pinched him on his arm and he gave out a soft groan and sat up.

"What now, Daisy?"

"What happened to your family?" His cheek turned red immediately I asked him.

"It's okay if you don't want to talk now." I said to him.

"No Daisy, thanks for asking. Sometimes, I really have the urge to talk to someone but there's no one always. Now, I have you, thanks."
I kissed him in his cheek just as we do when we were younger.

"I promise you Jade, I'll always be here for you. You and Jaycinel are my only friends right now."

"I'll be here for you too, even if we grow and fall in love with our soul mates and get married and maybe go separate ways, I'll never forget you." He said and I eyes him.

Who knows if we'd get out of here first?

"What?"

"The thought of going separate ways gives me goose bumps." I whispered.

"I'll be here for you." We made a pinky promise.

"I want to show you something before I tell you about my family."

"Okay."

He stood up and checked the pocket of the trousers he wore before. He showed me a bracelet.

"Pinky bracelet." I screamed. I had mine too, it was small now, I brought mine from my bag.

"You gave it to me when we promised each other that we were gonna win our mathematics competition and we won it successfully. You believed that our colour doesn't affect our brains and yes it doesn't. I'm glad you still have yours."

"I remember. I'm surprised you have yours."

"I missed you every day. Now sit, let me tell you about my family...."

I sat and he began...
...