Chapter 1: A New Beginning

"Hey, Wingding. Do you think we'll ever make it to the surface?"
"Where did this thought come from, all of sudden, Chara?"
"Just curious. Everyone wants to escape the Underground, but... do you think we ever will?"
"...You know, to be honest, I don't know. But we have to try. ...You know, you could leave. Unlike the rest of us, you are human. Your soul is stronger."
"...You know what I would have to do to get through the Barrier."
"Yes, that is true... But if you had the chance, would you take it?"

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Falling...
I was falling...
What was happening?
Why was I falling?
No... No, no, no, no, no!

Slam!

I hit the ground, and rolled over onto my back. I could see the caverns above me... They looked... familiar.

I was here before. That was the underside of the hole I fell into... such a long time ago. Why? Was this a dream?

It was, wasn't it? Why this one? Why have a dream of this memory? It was such a bad one? This fall was why I became afraid of heights in the first place. Though... I did meet Asriel for the first time here. He found me and brought me to safety. But I was so afraid of him at the time... not to mention he was deceased now, souring the memory even further.

But as I laid there, I realized... I didn't feel the same as back then. When I first fell, I broke several bones. I couldn't walk, I could barely speak above a mumble. But now, I didn't feel any of that. I still hurt from the fall, but it didn't hurt as bad. Also, I didn't feel... let's say, proportionally correct in my body for the time. I felt like the adult I was, not the kid I was back then. And finally, I felt something soft below me.

I got up, and looked around me. There were gold flowers, buttercups, surrounding me. It was a small field, but it was enough to soften my fall, apparently. But... they weren't here before.

I also realized that I felt like I was in my adult body, because, of course, I was in my current body, as an adult, not a kid. I mean, I didn't look like an adult very much. Despite being 20 years old, I was short height, about 4 feet, 11 inches, so I looked like a twelve or thirteen year old. I had light brown hair which I kept short and straight (to try to look more mature), warm brown eyes, and I was wearing a green sweater with a yellow stripe, and brown cargo shorts with black tights under them, and brown boots with a fuzzy white top hem, and white puffs on the shoelace ends.

So... either this was a really weird dream, or... this was real. My memory was a little fuzzy. Was I really here? But, how... the Ruins were locked up. How could I have...

Then I remembered what happened. I was with that kid. Her name was... Frisk, yes. And she could turn time back... supposedly. Her Reset ability, and...

Wait... where was she?

I quickly spun around, trying to find her. It wasn't hard... she was lying a few feet from me. And not moving.

My eyes went wide, and I ran over to her. Luckily, she was still breathing. I started attempting to shake her awake. She must've fallen alongside me, and was knocked unconscious.

After half a minute of shaking, she finally started moving. Her eyes opened, and she looked around, before her sight locked onto me. Then she quickly sat up, staring at me with a happy grin, and raising her hands, signed, mommy! You came with me!

I gave a small, unsure, but relieved smile, finding that she was okay. And of course, she still thought of me as her mother. ...Great. I just gave her a nod in response. Because I apparently looked like Frisk's deceased mother, she considered me her new mother. But I wasn't on board with that idea, though, but I really didn't have a choice but to accept it for now.