Family

(Sam)

I woke up to the sound of Colby whispering to someone. "Let's go back to sleep, okay? I promise it was just a dream." The bed rose, and Colby walked out.

It sounded like he was talking to Leila, our five year old daughter. We adopted two children, Leila as you know, and Carter who is seven. Colby and I were dating for five years till I asked him to be my husband, he proudly took the name Cole Golbach.

I heard the door open, and close lightly. The bed next to me dipped, and he pulled the covers over himself. "Everything okay?" I whispered to him.

"I'm sorry I didn't wanna wake you. Yeah, Leila had a nightmare, she made me read 'The Lazy Fox and the Red Hen' ten times." He said, giggling and curling into me. I kissed his forehead and with that, we fell asleep.

"Daddy! Daddy, wake up!" I heard, as I felt someone sitting next to me.

A laughed a little and saw Leila and Carter looking at me. "Daddy said wake you up, it's time to eat!" Carter said happily.

"I'm up, I'm up." I sat up and yawned, then walked downstairs to kiss Colby on his cheek. "Morning, love."

"Good morning, sunshine." He remarked, laughing a little. "Everyone wants to come over today."

"Who's everyone?" I asked, nicely of course.

"Elton and Amanda wanna bring Jason," their son who is six, "Corey and Devyn wanna bring Lily," their daughter who's five, "and Jake wants to come with Tara." Colby said as he fixed plates.

I grabbed four cups, and poured orange juice. "Okay, sounds good. We can go outside, have a cookout and whatnot." I said, smiling happily. Everyone is married and with one child, except Jake and Tara, they're engaged to be married. Colby and I are the only ones with two children, they all seem to get along though.

We all sat down and ate, I noticed Carter picking at his eggs. "Carter, what's wrong? You're not eating."

He shrugged, and sighed. "The other kids think I'm weird..."

"Why do you think that? You're not weird buddy, so they tell you that?" Colby asked him, taking a drink from his cup after.

"They said.. they said that two dads is weird. They have a mom and dad so they said they're normal." I looked at Colby, a little sadly.

"Well, we'll talk to their parents today, okay? And hey, have two dads makes you wayyy cool." I said, tossing Carter a smile. He nodded happily, and began eating.

Soon enough, everyone came over and we all sat in the back yard drinking wine or beer. Colby and I drank wine, with Amanda, Devyn, and Tara, as Jake and Elton had a beer. "We need to talk to you guys about something." Colby said, lacing his fingers in mine.

"Carter said Jason and Lily told him that it's weird to have two dads. They're picking on him." I told them, my voice cracked a little. I didn't want to sound like a baby in front of everyone, but the fact that my sexuality effected my child hurts. "'S'cuse me." I said, quickly walking inside.

I walked into the kitchen and leaned forward against the counter. I wipe me the few tears that fell, then jumped at the feeling of arms wrapping around me. "Why're you crying, baby?" Colby mumbled, kissing the back of my neck.

"He's always judged for us. Us being gay puts a.. a burden on him. I just don't want the reason for him not having friends be because of us. Or Leila." I turned around, crying lightly into his chest.