ch. 9

Dabi stirred next to me and I woke up. I looked over to him and saw as he carefully tried to move away.

"Sorry, did I wake you?" He asked once he saw me staring

"Ya. Where are you going?"

"Kitchen. I'm hungry."

I sat up, careful not to wake shigaraki up, and stood up next to him.

"Great. Then you can make me food too."

He lightly chuckled and rolled his eyes as I followed him out of toga's room and into the kitchen. He started boiling water and made some instant ramen. He handed me a cup and a pair of chopsticks and we ate in silence.

"So, you ever gonna get dressed?" He asked breaking the silence.

"Huh?" I looked down. "Shit!" I cursed once I saw I was still in my underwear. Dabi had put a shirt on.

"Haha. Not that I mind." He laughed

I punched his arm. "Shut the fuck up." I grumbled

"Here." He handed me an extra one of his shirts. (That he conveniently had with him)

I put the oversized white t shirt on and went back to my noodles.

"Ok, I wanna try something really quick." He said putting his empty cup down.

I nodded and placed down my own cup.

"Ok, close your eyes."

I did as I was told.

"Now, look through your memories and try and remember the last time you felt a strong emotion. Any emotion."

I did and I felt my face scrunch up as I tried to remember. An image started to form in my mind. Foggy and distant at first, but slowly becoming clearer.

~~ flash back ~~

I was 15 years old, about a year ago. I was sitting with my friends at the lunch recess. We were eating sandwiches and chips. After school ended, I was walking home and saw my dad. I was going to go over and say hi and ask him about his day when I saw another boy with him. He was a green haired boy, about my age. he was kneeling on the ground crying in front of my dad. I hid behind a building and listened to their conversation.

"From now on, I will train you. And may you become a great hero!" All might told him

I peeked around the corner and saw him in his weak form. He showed that orm to nobody. Who was this boy? Why was my father training him to be his successor instead of me?

I remember feeling hurt, and betrayed. And then nothing. I guess I didn't realise it then, but that was when I stopped caring about things. And it only got worse from there.

I ran home and went out to the back yard. I had this special tree that I tied foam padding around. I used it to train. I punched the padding over and over until I could barely move.

That was the last time I remember feeling any emotions.

~~ end flashback ~~

"Are you ok?" I heard Dabi's voice

I opened my eyes and smiled at him and nodded my head. He placed one of his hands on my thigh and looked at me. I flinched at his touch and that surprised both of us. He pulled his hand away and looked at me. I looked back into his eyes. I looked down at his hand. I gently took it in my hand and held it. It was faint, but I definitely felt something. I wasn't sure what it was, but it was something. I looked up and smiled at dabi. He smiled back.

"Dabi... I can feel...... something."

"That's good." He smiled at me

I stood up and and wrapped my arms around him. He embraced me back. I smiled into his chest. Even though it wasn't much, and to recover all of my emotion would take a long time, I was happy. If even just for that moment, I knew what happiness felt like.