Arrange Marriage (1)

SHE

I can't believe Mom is doing this once again. Can't she get it after the past 8 times?

Once again, I am meant to meet a prospective groom for arrange marriage. For God sake I work at the head of Finance in an MNC and earn more than well for myself, yet my parents want me to get married. Can this life get any cruel?

For the past eight times I had managed to reject the guy explaining my parents that he does not have the qualities I want. Actually, I was being honest all the times, expect the part where I deliberately act the way I am not just to piss of the guy and provoke him to behave rudely and then I can easily reject the proposal for his lack of manners. Life was going great. I had all actions in plan for such 'blind dates' I was set up to.

Firstly, I would meet the man in my work clothes, speak not in a subtle but confident tone, ask of what he does for a living and then clearly state him that I am self-sufficient and he need not worry for earning in the future. This would piss off any man. And for after effect I would politely add – "You can live off my earning, I don't mind." Actually, I won't mind but I know male ego would definitely mind it. That's my style. Generally, this was enough to piss off a man but even when I met some adamant ones, I would follow other tricks.

In the broad day light, I would ask for alcohol drink and after just a few sips I would go out all drunk act. The moment they taunt me with – "You should not drink if you can't hold you drink..." Anything along those lines I would come back to my sober nature and laugh at the man's face for accusing me in such a ridicule way.

Well at times I even got a cigarette to hold. I don't smoke and I find it a very vile activity and seeing me just holding one turned off many men. Thankfully I never had to light one ever.

So I am on my way for the 9th rejection and I have made my persistent mother promise to let go off this marriage quest after this 9th guy rejects me. However, she says it's a very nice family and she is has been on and on about his family, his intelligence, his looks, his sports, his achievements, his manners and she praise them on and on since morning. I wonder if I am her daughter or not? And if she is setting me up with his idle son!?

*************

HE

Every girl is the same always! The same clingy types, all caked up in makeup, dressed up like a barbie doll who bats her lashes in every 20 seconds furiously.

The same always. They talk in a very soft-spoken manner, mostly looks down at the table, shy, asks for coffee or tea. When asked about their hobby they all are always either cooking, painting, dancing, singing, reading or some other common ones we generally read in kindergarten when we are introduced to the word –'hobby'.

Can this all be anymore monotonous?

So I am once again at some café called – 'Destiny' or something, I didn't even bother to know the name. I know this will be the same type of girl all after my money. Yeah I am rich and I am proud of the fact, until now when I have been branded as the 'Rich eligible bachelor'.

I am waiting for the girl sitting at the table. The nerve of this girl, she is the first to make me wait. Others have always been before I arrive, all eager to marry me.

I am in a simple white shirt with an orange juice sipping away and predicting what percent clingy will she be? I am guessing around 90% to 150%

I see another guy fidgeting with a pen in a near by table. I see myself in him from three months back. The first time I was seeing a girl for marriage.

"Waiting for someone?" I raise my eyebrow.

"Yeah, marriage and all..." He hesitantly nods and I just give him a thumbs up with a short smile. God the guy needs help.