~ 1 ~

Before reading, how did you find this book and where are you from?
◉◉

TWO YEARS LATER.

She heavily inhaled a refreshing amount of air and slowly drew them out. Her palm reached for her chest once again to feel her heat beat, hoping the breathing exercise had calmed her down; however, it did not work at all. It seemed to have worsened her palpitations. Her heart was still drumming wildly beneath her ribcage, and it felt like each time she took in air, it only aggravated her condition further. There was no time to waste so she decided to try a different approach to treating her momentary anxiety.

Like a wrestler warming up for an upcoming fight, she spread her arms above her head and started to lift her body in repeated jumping jacks. After all, exercise was one of the best ways to release tension from stress and anxiety.

She kept moving, her ponytail bouncing in motion as her heels hit the ground again and again. Her mind drifted away from her pounding heartbeat as she focused on the movements that were keeping her alive; her body's need to move.

The people passing by began to look her way as they all wondered what the lady in the white coat was doing in the middle of a hospital hall. They would have assumed she was a mentally disabled patient, but the doctor's signature coat and identity tag hanging across her neck revealed otherwise.

She observed the attracted eyes but chose to ignore them before dipping her hips in squats. After all, they probably weren't troubled by a random summoning from the chairman, and these kinds of exercises were essential before meeting with the beast.

Undoubtedly, it was a non-peculiar situation for the boss and his subordinates to engage in a one-on-one conversation at times. But the chairman was the no-nonsense type of boss. A nit-picky creature who did not tolerate any slacking off or lackadaisical behavior from his employees, and would fume with rage over the littlest mistake. Having graduated from medical school with stellar grades and set up his hospital at the age of fifty-five, he was known as an ambitious character with indomitable self-esteem, and his unrelenting standards had made him a target for everyone's ridicule.

A perfectionist with no room for error like him had her wondering the reasons he had chosen to see her first thing in the morning.

"Get your shit together, Maria," she muttered under her breath as she lifted herself into a full lunge. "I don't know what the matter is about, but I'm gonna make damn sure you don't embarrass me later today." She added, before caressing her cheeks with both hands, giving herself a pep talk.

With her mind cleared, she moved back into a standing position, nodding with renewed energy. She cleared he throat, dissolving whatsoever built up hoarseness in it before proceeding onward to the elevator that lead to the highest floor.

Her steps turned silent briefly upon reaching the floor where she was summoned, and she quickly scanned her surroundings, trying to remember which of the rooms was occupied by the chairman. She found what she sought and turned towards it, the sound of her heels clicking against the floor echoed throughout the hallway as she proceeded to the large wooden door that led to the chosen office.

Maria came to a halt in front of the door bearing the CEO's nameplate. For a second, she stood there, staring at the door while her hand hovered just inches from its doorknob. The door stared back into her soul, and her throat moved with a labored gulp.

A light knock was what she started with and then added two consecutive ones when no responses followed the first. The thought of the man out of the office for emergency surgery or a meeting made her lips broaden to a foolish grin.

"You're late." a familiar deep voice suddenly boomed from inside the room, disappointing her expectations. "Come in." the same voice instructed.

The last two words washed away the smile, her happiness short-lived. She sighed silently, knowing whose voice had sounded through the door.