~ 44 ~

The breeze of the night slapped against her face as the man in her front pulled her along, not giving her any information about where he was taking her to. Her steps were forced to imitate his own as they walked, making her body sway with each step taken, but it didn't take long for her patience to run out.

"Where are you taking me to??" Maria demanded with a frown, still unable to understand why he was here in the first place, accompanied by an attempt to break away from his hold.

Her forceful resistance made him look back over his shoulder, a glare on her face as he met her gaze. He paused his steps before fulfilling her wish by releasing her hand and then removed the pair of shades he had on. His eyes looked serious and they made Maria sense he was about to start an argument.

The last thing she expected was to see him that night, so she couldn't stop herself from asking, with her expression looking puzzled. "What are you doing here?" Her voice wavered with curiosity and wonder as her eyes scanned his figure.

Jayden lifted his chin slightly and his dark brown irises narrowed at the question. "I should be the one asking you that."

Maria blinked several times and pulled down her brows at the absurdness of his statement. "What--?"

"I gave you some days off to rest, Miss Patterson," he was quick to cut her off, the tone of his voice taking on a different shade than it was just moments ago, and it caused her to feel quite uneasy. "I didn't know you were the type to waste away your free time partying and then putting on a holier-than-thou act in front of me." His eyes darkened with displeasure, his whole expression looking grim.

The words struck her ears hard, her gaze falling from his stare as her mouth dropped open, not quite knowing how to reply, for she wasn't really sure if she was dumbfounded or annoyed. But before she could even find the right words to answer him back, his lips parted to speak up again.

"And now you are even going on dates?" His lips curled into a frown. "Did you have that much free time enough to put yourself in danger?"

She frowned slightly at his last question, her tone turning more serious than usual, as she tried to understand his meaning. "Danger? Did you know about that...?"

"You think something like that didn't make the news already?" He questioned with raised brows, causing her lashes to flutter in surprise. "It's all over the media, your stupid carelessness and foolishness are now out in the open." Jayden paused to study her reaction before speaking up once more. "You could have gotten killed," he added with emphasis, as though the thought had never crossed her mind.

His last statement made her eyes narrow even further, completely speechless at both his words and his assumption. She couldn't even think of the proper words to say. Her mind was still unsettled after the occurrence with Evan and having to hear someone scold her only added more stress to her current state.

Maria ran a hand through her hair, her fingers shaking in frustration. "Well, nothing happened--" Her voice broke off into an annoyed mutter but he just cut her short with another glare.

"That's all because that jerk showed up." His lips thinned in a tight line as though it were all her fault. "What if he didn't? Would you be this confident to say nothing happened?"

"Well, at least he did, that's what matters, end of story." She maintained her low tone, even though she was gradually losing her patience with him. It would be shocking if he came all the way here without any reason but to scold the shit out of her, and for goodness' sake, she lacked both physical and mental energy to put up an argument with him.

"That is not what matters." He spoke in a stern voice, making her look away in annoyance with a quiet groan. " You shouldn't be putting yourself in danger by associating with lowlifes and the like. You call yourself a doctor yet you act as though you can't even keep your own life safe from--"