~ 8~

Running across the Stanleys' estate was something she never knew would happen in her life and being chased by a patient was more incredulous. But those two absurdities merging was the worst and craziest thing that could ever happen and unfortunately, it seemed that those impossible circumstances had decided to take a toll on her on that very day.

There she was, on her second day as a personal day, running for her life (yes literally) and away from an angered patient trailing after her across the vast place.

Maria had been running blindly, not knowing where to seek safety, the moment she had rushed out from the relaxation spot following the tragicomedy of ruining his hoodie by pouring bloody beer all over him. Her lungs were burning with intense pain, her heart pounding against her ribs as she flee past every servant watching the appalling scene.

The garden was wide, giving her an excessive space to traverse through, hoping to find a space of refuge, but her path seemed to be leading her further from her goal.

"Stop right there!" Her pursuer yelled behind her, the sound of the wind blowing through his lips making his voice louder.

Her head turned at his call, and she gasped to see Jayden gaining fast, the distance between them narrowing with each stride from him, proving exceedingly that his long legs weren't made for nothing. He was coming faster after and soon enough, she knew she would lose to his chase.

"Would you do that if you were in my shoes?!" Maria screamed back at him, her feet hitting the ground with harder steps in her desperate attempt to put some distance between them.

"You little... Just wait till I set my hands on you..."

She snatched her look away, ignoring whatever threat he had left to say. Because right now, she had to focus on not giving him a chance to grab a hold of her.

But her plan came crashing down when asthma slowly began to wake. It made her stop abruptly, gasping for air, her lungs aching with exertion. Her eyes darted around for a place to hide, but she only saw a few small trimmed bushes that were no longer than the height of her legs.

A strong gasp broke her lips, startled by the figure who had shown up unnoticeably. Jayden was already standing in front of her, blocking her from any form of escape route, and a devilish grin could almost be seen on his face. She knew she was supposed to break loose again but her choking throat suspended her action.

His hands moved to the hoodie hung across his bare shoulders before throwing the cloth on the ground with a thump. "This is a custom-made edition! The fabric has been designed especially for me. And never in a million years can you imagine who the designer might be!" His tone became even more enraged as he continued ranting.

It was clear to Maria how furious he was, his voice raised in volume and his fists clenching tighter against his sides. But despite those emotions and actions, she was more engrossed in her failing health. Her chest ached like never before and breathing seemed to have become much harder, forcing her to lean closer to the tree and clutch on it for support.

Jayden's attention turned toward the direction of the tree and he stopped talking, frowning deeply at the lady who was acting as if oxygen was not present around her. Her hand was pressed to her throat, and she was coughing constantly.

"What? Now you are going to fake a sudden attack just to escape the consequences of your actions?" He asked in disbelief as he stared at her with suspicion.

Maria coughed twice more before speaking again, her words broken by her choking sounds. "I-I am not faking this..."

"Oh really? You must take me for a fool, doc. You think I will let this go if you play some stupid sick role?" He scoffed sarcastically, crossing his arms on his chest, still watching her suspiciously.