~ 16 ~

Maria took a sip of her glass, observing the atmosphere around her. She could see several couples slow dancing on the dance floor, while others were mingling and conversing with each other. Some people sat at tables, indulging themselves in drinks and food. There were also some families having a good time together, laughing and having fun.

She couldn't deny the attention their table received. They all seemed to whisper one or two things after stealing glances in their direction. Most of the time, they stared at her with perplexed and curious expressions. Judging by their body language, she knew they were all wondering who she was since they couldn't easily search her on the internet to get the needed information and also had no guts to question Jayden himself about the woman he had brought to the event.

"Are you hungry? Do you crave anything? Or perhaps you want to try another drink?" Jayden's voice drew her attention away from the party's venue and back to their table where he was seated opposite her. Maria glanced at him, finding him staring at her with a thoughtful expression.

It seemed her response was not necessary for him. He sprung from his seat and she lifted her chin, her eyes following his movement. Jayden glanced down, their gazes connected with an invisible vertical line between them. "There are plenty of dishes and drinks to choose from. If you are not comfortable with the crowd, we can go inside the hotel's restaurant for a more private meal." He suggested, gesturing towards the grand building, without taking his lingering eyes off her face.

Maria sat still for a moment, unresponsive to his suggestion. It felt strange and surprising to receive that kind of treatment from him. Surely, he was not the kind of person to worry or show interest in other people's needs. But then again, there could be a sweet gentle soul beneath all those superficial facades.

Her eyes gawked at the palm he stretched out to her, tracing the lines of his calloused fingertips as if memorizing the contour of his hand. His fingers were long, well-shaped, and calling out for hers. She stared for so long that she didn't miss the way his elegant gold-toned watch glimmered when the light caught the edge of it.

"Maria?" Jayden inquired, breaking her trance and bringing her back to reality. She pulled her gaze away from him, blinking rapidly to clear her mind. "Aren't you coming?" He added when she looked up at him.

Maria inhaled lightly, deciding to accept his offer and indulge herself with a party treat. Her attention shifted back to his hand, determined to grab it and hold on tight. She raised her arm slowly, pausing in between to measure her movements. Her fingertips brushed his skin and her intention of reaching deeper got ruined when a different hand snatched Jayden's away from him.

The sudden intruder surprised the both of them, turning their attention towards the new arrival. A stunning beauty stood next to Jayden, and Maria immediately recognized her as the hostess, the lady from the stage earlier. She was looking deep into Jayden's eyes and holding his wrist possessively. Her face was painted with beams, her curving lips red and glossy.

"It's been a while, Jay-Jay!" Her smooth voice rang happily, squeezing his hand tighter. Maria's eyes widened slightly, observing how casual she was with him; the nickname the lady addressed him with, and her proximity to him.

Jayden pulled his hand free before responding, his answer simple and short in a neutral tone. "Yeah. Hi." He nodded faintly, hiding his two hands in his pockets.

"Come on now, Jay-Jay. Is that all you have to say after two years of not seeing me? I know you don't mean that." Ashley countered, her tone playful and teasing as she snuggled closer to his chest.

"Well," he took a step back from her flirtatious advances, "I can see things are going well with you. Congratulations on the product launch." He mentioned before his eyes darted to the silent Maria for the briefest moment.