~ 43 ~

Her drained eyes watched the scene from a distance, trying to catch the conversation Dawn was having with the cops by reading their lips but could barely understand anything. It didn't seem like an argument but she was sure her friend was trying her best to make sure Evan wouldn't be released easily.

She was forced to shift her focus when someone wrapped her shoulder with a leather jacket. Her gaze met the charming pair of green eyes before they fell to the cloth around her arm.

"Are you okay, now?" Justin inquired softly, causing her to look at him again, with her expression lost like someone who was still trying to grasp everything that happened minutes ago.

"I think so..." She answered shakily and turned back to look at Evan who was already getting pushed inside the police car. The traces of blood could be seen on both sides of his mouth, and it felt satisfying to look at.

With that thought, she glanced back at Justin to smile thankfully at him. No one knew what Evan could have done if he had not shown up just then. It might have been a different story for her and her friend.

Maria stopped all her thoughts when Dawn began to run toward where she was seated on the bench, the other girl's face full of worry as she reached Maria in seconds.

"Maria." Dawn panted slightly, taking her hands into hers. "Do you feel better now? Should we visit the hospital?"

"No, it's fine." Maria managed a smile before changing the topic to one she felt was more important. "What is going to happen now? Will you press charges?"

Dawn looked back in the direction the siren was coming from. "I don't know what is going to happen for now but I won't be letting him off so easily." She stated, determination evident in her voice, and Maria nodded.

The tall figure standing silently beside them got noticed by Dawn, reminding her of the unexpressed gratitude she owed him. "Thank you for earlier by the way," she started, her tone indicating to whom she was talking, and Justin met her dark eyes with a soft smile.

"Please, don't thank me. I just couldn't stand an asshole like him messing with you pretty ladies." He responded, his words making her beam gently.

Her gaze quickly fell back to Maria, wondering how her friend knew such a handsome man. She also couldn't help but think Justin was familiar, he had a face that belonged from the movies or something of the sort where celebrities were mostly seen.

One of the policemen walked to their group before she could speak again, clearly seeking her attention. "Miss Wang?" He addressed her, which made her turn around. "We would like you to come with us to the station to make a statement." He stated, his voice full of professionalism before he turned away from the two women and headed toward his colleagues.

"Oh..." Dawn's voice trailed away for a second before looking at Maria again. "Is it okay for me to leave you alone? I don't think it sounds right to ask you to come along after all the trouble."

"What trouble?" Maria chuckled softly. "Don't worry, I will be fine. I am not alone, also, he is a friend." She confirmed, squeezing the hands holding hers before letting go.

"Okay." Dawn smiled warmly. "I will call you!" she added, leaning closer to share a brief hug before taking a step back and turning on her heels to join the policemen.

Maria watched her leave and her gaze drifted back to Justin, who was looking back at her with concern on his expression. He spoke first before she did, averting the questions she was preparing for him.

"Why don't we go somewhere else? The crowd here is increasing by seconds." Justin suggested, his eyes scanning their environment filled with people staring at the spectacle before he took a step closer. "What about that coffee shop over there or...home? I can drive you home."