~ 31 ~

The football players ran across the field on the green grass, kicking and passing the ball to score a goal. Jayden stared at the television with an unimpressed look, the big frown on his face easily showing how annoyed he felt about his preferred team losing.

"What a stupid team," he muttered as he chewed aggressively on the popcorn that he had been munching on since he sat on the sofa watching the game.

His bitter mood was worsened by the ringing of the bell, informing him of the presence of an unwelcoming visitor. He was suspicious the guest could be the pestering doctor and that guess had him grumbling, considering his present sour state.

He took his eyes away, ignoring the continuous ringing of the bell, knowing how daring his doctor was. She would eventually get the doors opened herself if she couldn't bear his silence anymore. After all, the doors weren't locked.

As expected, the vibrating sounds of the doors opening reached his ears a few moments later. He remained his eyes on the screen, ignoring the soft footsteps walking into the place, followed by the usual polite manner in the way she spoke.

"I see, Mr. Stanley. You might not have heard the bell because of the TV." She stated from behind and he rolled his eyes at how naive her conclusion was.

He ignored her words, including her existence entirely, until her figure appeared in front of him, the television standing behind her back. Her blue eyes showed how happy she was to see him, with a small smile curling over her lips, but his expression was anything but welcoming.

"Good morning, Mr. Stan--"

"It's afternoon," he interrupted coldly. "Two minutes after twelve to be precise. You are the one who is late."He added, finding himself taking out his irritation at the game for her.

Maria's smile fell at the realization, her gaze taking a quick peak at her wristwatch. She returned a look at him, clearing her throat before placing a slight smile on her face, although it didn't look as genuine as before. "Sorry. I arrived before twelve so I thought--"

"Whatever. You are not transparent. I am watching a match, you know." He said with an air of dismissal, taking a hand into his bag of popcorn, with his eyes determined to not meet with hers anymore.

'Jerk.' Maria sneered quickly before taking some steps away from his view, standing outside his line of sight so as not to make him more upset than he already was. Talk about her patient's terrible mood swings.

She watched him attentively with narrowed eyes as he continued chewing his popcorn, before taking a glance at what he was paying close attention to. Considering he was the type of person that hardly talked about his hobbies and dislikes, it was fascinating to see him engrossed in the sport.

"So, you must really like football, Mr. Stanley." Maria voiced and expressed herself further with a pointing palm toward the screen. As a doctor who had a fair share of training in psychology, she had learned that most people, including the most difficult ones, can't resist discussing their favorite topics.

Her assumption proved false when Jayden picked up the remote and changed channels with a single finger flick, his lips curled into a tight frown as he stared at the new channel, clearly displeased with her nosiness.

But that was not enough for her to give up. "So, I guess it's pop music then? I never knew you were a fan of it too." She said as she stepped closer to his side, hoping to get his attention by asking about his favorite artists. "Who is your--"

Her next question was interrupted by his quick changing of channels again. His repeated action made her realize what exactly he was trying to do. Jayden was obviously avoiding any conversation, but he was in for a surprise if he thought she could be that easily tricked into staying silent.