~ 29 ~

The giant doors paved way for their entrance, and the exhausted lady supporting another entire weight on her feeble shoulders stepped inside the room with an immediate need to get rid of the man beside her.

Her heels clicked against the marble floor, her body trying her best to support her extra weight by keeping one hand against the wall as she dragged her patient in tow. It was in that situation that made Maria wonder why his room was so large, the distance from the entrance to where the bed was too long to be possible.

After what seemed like forever, they finally reached his bed and she immediately lowered her patient onto it, the sound of his head hitting the pillows accompanied by his low moan that she felt in her core. Her shoulders became relieved from the stress of carrying a full-grown man by herself.

There was no time to complain, his health and safety had always been her first priority as his doctor, making her feel glad she had listened to her guts and returned back to him earlier.

"Let me bring your drugs," Maria uttered and left hastily to the cabinet placed across the room to retrieve his bottles of medication.

She returned back to him with a cup of water and the small bottles. Jayden was still lying on the bed, his eyes closed but she knew he wasn't sleeping, not with the pain that he was passing through. "Mr. Stanley?" She called softly before placing the items in her hands on the nightstand and then sitting beside his frame.

He remained in silence, breathing heavily with his eyelids shut tightly. She watched his blank face and she couldn't help but do that one thing he hated the most, feeling sorry for him. He looked terrible, Maria observed more, her fingers reaching out and resting atop his forehead. "Mr. Stanley, you have to use your drugs." Her words came in whispers as she gently caressed his burning head.

The warm touch of her hand made his brown eyes flicker open and they slowly met with her blue ones. She was doing that thing again. The way her palm always caressed his face whenever he was having a headache or running a fever. There was something magical about her touch that always made him feel safe despite his misery, although, he would never admit that.

His brows pulled into a frown when he sighted the drugs she was bringing closer. He immediately turned his head to the other side, showing disapproval like a sullen child being forced to use some medicine.

"It's for your own good," Maria insisted and was not ready to tolerate his stubbornness. His condition shouldn't be joked with and time should not be wasted on his sickness. "Please," she added before giving a soft nudge on his elbow, her tone gentle.

Perhaps it was the desperation in her voice or whatever, but her plea seemed to move him, causing his eyes to return back to her. She quickly smiled encouragingly at him, pushing his drugs forward when he took a look at them.

A sigh of relief broke through Maria when Jayden reluctantly accepted the medicine, throwing the pills in his mouth in a single gulp. She immediately brought the glass of water closer to his lips but he collected it instead, gulping the contents with an obvious lack of care to her concerned expression.

"Good Mr. Stanley. The migraine will disappear shortly," she assured him, her fingers tracing gently over his forehead once more before collecting the cup from his hold. "You stressed yourself a lot a while ago. All that banging earlier and taking of alcohol--" She stopped talking when she noticed how uncomfortable his clothes must be, and then decided to do something about it.

Maria started with his sneakers, pulling them off slowly one after the other. She moved ahead to remove his heavy coat, leaving him only in the black hoodie shirt and dark-gray trousers he wore underneath.