~ 18 ~

Maria freed herself from Jayden's grasp, refusing to let him drag her any further, making him halt his steps likewise and face her with a questioning gaze. "Are we leaving now?" She asked, apparently tired of the party, wishing she could return home as soon as possible.

His gaze lingered before speaking as if he was memorizing her features. "After dinner."

She blinked. Was his dinner offer still available? She hadn't expected him to extend the invitation again, not after rejecting it the first time. "...Dinner?"

"Yes. I have a business dinner soon, the most important reason why I had chosen to attend this time-wasting event." He explained, his eyes narrowing into slits as he watched her.

Her eyes drifted from his face after his words, finding herself stupid for actually thinking he would invite her to dinner just because he wanted to be nice. Of course, he wasn't being kind or generous. It was all about business.

"And you want me to join you?" She finally answered and he nodded affirmatively.

"Of course." He stated simply, his eyes never wavering from hers. "Let's go," he added, picking up her hand again as though it was the most normal thing in the world.

***

Seeing the ostentatious display of different kinds of meals on the table momentarily drove away her thoughts of going back home. But the smile on her face came washing down when her eyes spotted the black-haired lady smiling broadly at the guest across the long table, enjoying the lively attention in the atmosphere.

"Have a seat," the man beside her said, gesturing towards the chair next to him, and Maria returned her gaze to him with an appreciative smile while pretending to not be amazed by his politeness.

She was barely settled on her seat when a loathful voice sprung from across the table, directed towards her. "What is she doing here?" The person asked with disdain, and then shifted her gaze to the man seated beside her for answers.

Maria slowly raised her gaze to meet the angry owner of the voice, only to find herself staring into the face of the host, who was glaring at her with displeasure. Her eyebrows rose in surprise, her lips parting as she tried to understand if those words of Ashley's were meant for her.

"She is with me." Jayden's voice broke the tension between the two ladies' gazes, his tone carrying authority that silenced everyone around them.

The woman's face twisted into a scowl, her eyes narrowing as she glared at him. "That doesn't answer my question. This meeting is confidential, you know. What do you think you are doing bringing her here?"

Jayden remained calm, his eyes fixed on the hostess, and his body language relaxed. He seemed unbothered by the woman's attitude, like someone who was used to dealing with such things. "Trust me, there is nothing to worry about." He assured, his words coming out slow and deliberate.

Ashley didn't look well convinced yet, her green eyes darting back to the other blonde woman who sat opposite her, her face contorting in disgust. "Don't you think you are crossing the line? I tried to overlook the fact you came to my party without an invitation, and now, you dare to sit among us as if you are one of us??" She demanded, her voice rising high enough to be heard by everyone.

Maria flickered her lashes repeatedly, clearly taken aback at the woman's lashings. "I am sorry, I did not realize I needed an invitation to come here." She finally uttered, her hand instinctively reaching for the glass of wine she placed on the table as she tried not to focus on the other people's reactions.

"Well, now that you know, you can leave, the party's over. You should have known better than to show your face here." The woman returned almost immediately, her tone sharp and demanding.