~ 62~

She stared at her reflection with the most unsatisfied face in the universe-- or more like a grimace. What was she going to wear to a date with a billionaire? All of a sudden, all the clothes in her closet had a certain lack she could not precisely identify, and it almost seemed she hadn't been paying proper attention to her choices during shopping.

As a six-figure salary earner, she couldn't imagine the kind of classy women Jayden could have dated before her, and that kind of people would definitely not consider a pair of jeans and a turtleneck sweater appropriate for a night out. Not like she wanted to dress in ways that would remind him of people she was supported to be jealous of but still... Plus, luck was not on her side considering he himself was the most stylish person she knew; even when he was dressed casually in hoodies and sweatpants, his outfit never failed to serve deliciously.

After another long moment of rummaging through the closest and occasionally resisting the temptation of picking the shimmering green dress Jayden bought for her during their 'fake relationship' period, she settled on another choice of attire--a black leather jacket for the cold (which was not worn but hung loosely over shoulders), and her favorite pair of red combat boots that matched perfectly with a strapless nude dress stopping above her knees.

A simple touch of makeup, a light perfume, and two pairs of silver earrings were needed before she finally deemed herself ready to meet Jayden.

Just as promised, another message came from him in the next hour, and she moved over to the window to find herself staring down at a lengthy limousine that came to a full halt outside the building.

Her jaw dropped slightly at the display of luxury that would stir gossip among her neighbors, and she was sure they were peeking through their windows as much as she was.

But that would be worried about another time. For now, a man who would have abandoned a load of office work to spend his evening with her was waiting downstairs, and she wouldn't trade it away for fear of what people around her might think of her.

When she reached the stairs, the doorbell had been rung already, causing her to quicken her pace with every step. She reached down, unlocked the door, and pulled it open to reveal the pair of brown earthly eyes that belonged to the most perfect specimen of human beauty; that might have sounded cliche but she meant every word.

He stood tall before her, his body language exceeding the kind of confidence that usually characterized him, and the familiar cologne of fresh pine wood and musk flowed freely through the warm night air that surrounded them.

A dimple appeared beside his mouth as he half-smiled, returning her radiant one. "Pretty," he spoke, his voice soft, yet laced with such obvious appreciation that warmed her inside out.

Her cheeks tinged a light pink color at his compliment, before she cleared her throat, deciding to tease him a little bit, "No flowers?" she searched his palms, finding nothing but the rings glistening around his fingers.

When her eyes drove back to his face, she realized he had almost taken her words seriously with the falter of his smile until he noticed the mischievous quirkiness of her mouth, and he decided to play along just fine. "It must have slipped my mind because..." His lips turned up in a smug grin and he extended his arm toward her. "I was more focused on coming here to get myself one."

Her face twisted into another teasing smirk, her hand reaching forward automatically to accept his offered arm, "Was that supposed to be a pickup line?" She asked him even though his words released a load of butterflies swarming in her stomach, threatening to burst out any second now.

His brow rose upward, looking quite intrigued, "It didn't win you over?" He asked, letting his thumb stroke gently over the back of her palm, a gesture that made goosebumps arise under his touch.