~ 32 ~

The racetrack was filled to the brim with a group of excited and anxious people, all ready to watch the game. The place boomed with wild noises from spectators as they shouted in their seats, most of them holding out cheering products with high hopes for their favorite racers.

"Getting excited, Mr. Stanley?" Maria questioned in a loud voice, shouting over the clamor around them.

Jayden didn't turn to look at her, his gaze fixed on the field and his brows squeezing above the dark shades he wore didn't hide his intense displeasure.

"C'mon, don't be like that when the game has yet to start," She coaxed from where she sat beside him. Her eyes drove to the horses lined in front of the players and their jockeys. They were already mounted, waiting for the signal from the announcer. "You know what? To make this more fun, let's make a bet on which horse will win first." She offered with a broad grin.

His response came immediately. "Count me out," he voiced tersely with a frown, his body still facing the field.

Her smile dropped and her lips curved to form a disapproving frown. "Wow. You are already proving yourself as a total bore already."

Jayden snapped his head back towards her, the dark lenses covering his eyes from view. "What?"

She ignored his question, turning to face the field once again. Her attention focused on one particular horse, observing how large and strong it was. "I bet on that white horse, the third one to take the lead." She declared confidently, pointing at the mentioned participant in the race.

The man sitting beside her made no comment in return. However, one look at him, it was obvious he was in deep concentration on which horse to bet on. "The sixth one will," his voice came in low tones after a short while.

"Sixth...?" Maria muttered before glancing back at the riding arena, in search of the horse he had picked. Her eyes found the horse and the sight of it made her frown skeptically at it. The horse looked small in comparison with the other participants, and the rider seemed younger than the others too. It was also a dark brown horse with short hair, not very attractive to her liking. "I'm not so sure about that..." She mumbled the words, shaking her head slightly, and looking back to Jayden.

"You are not to judge that. We will see, we are here already, are we not?" He spoke quietly with a tight tone, his attention still focused on the horses lined behind the players, and his seriousness reminded her of how competitive he naturally was.

A gun was shot in the air from the direction of the stage where the announcer sat, signaling the start of the race. The players took off at high speed, the competition beginning with intense and high-stakes rivalry.

Maria began clapping, cheering for the white horse she had bet on. It was fast as she had predicted. The horse was currently in the second lead as it strived to overtake the black horse that was winning. She couldn't be more satisfied to find Jayden's bet struggling in fifth place.

Several jumps were performed, with each of the participants displaying their talents and weaknesses occasionally. The challenges were what made the game fun, and while some horses had great fallbacks, it wasn't the same case for others.

The white horse proved to be highly skilled when it finally lapped up the black one, taking first place after several tries. Maria was so excited at the victory that she found herself rising to cheer harder.

Meanwhile, Jayden mentally urged his bet to speed up. It was almost believable to think he was telepathic when the dark brown horse and its rider got fired up, speeding forward at incredible speed, and overtaking another horse to claim the third spot in the race.