11

Jimin felt like he was welded to the floor. He tried to lift his arm to knock softly, but his entire body was just...stuck. 

His heart was in his throat, and his mouth relieved itself of all moisture, despite how much water he drank before he left. 

With a long, deep, and shaky breath, he finally rung the doorbell. 

He heard a bit of shuffling, and his eyes finally left his feet as the door swung open. 

He looked at her as she smiled softly, clasping her hands together. 

"Oh Jimin...my sweet baby boy..." She slowly approached him and snaked her arms around his neck, enveloping him into an unwanted hug. Jimin's face remained emotionless, and his arms stayed at his sides. 

She pulled away from the hug, still holding onto Jimin's forearms. She examined him up and down, smiling unreadably.

 "You've gotten so tall and handsome since I last saw you...my baby's grown up." 

Jimin's face hadn't changed since he laid his eyes on her. 

"Come in, come in. Have you eaten? I've got some Japchae cooking in the-" 

Jimin cut her off.

"I'm not hungry." He stated, coldly. 

Awkwardly, his mom looked down at her feet. 

"O-Okay. That's fine! I'll just get you some tea going, then." 

She grabbed Jimin's forearm and led him into the house, closing the door behind him. 

Everything was just how he remembered it, the furniture, the decorations...his pictures from ages 3-13 all lined up on the wall opposite of him. 

He wanted to rip them all down and light them on fire. 

He swallowed the rock in his throat, pushing down the memories that begged to be resurfaced. 

He shook his head and stood in the foyer, hands in his pockets. 

His mom disappeared into the kitchen, and Jimin could hear faint sounds of liquid being poured, buttons being beeped. 

Why am I back here? 

His heart started beating loudly in his chest. He looked around, panicking a little, trying to catch his breath.

I need to get out of here. I can't do this. 

Just as he was about to turn around and leave, his mom entered again, holding two small cups of tea. 

Jimin gulped. 

"Join me in the living room honey. Let's sit." 

Jimin shook his head. 

"I'd rather stand." He replied, curtly. 

His mom sighed. 

"Jimin, please? Would you just sit? I just want to have a nice conversation." 

Jimin grit his teeth and clenched his fists at his sides. 

Going against every fiber in his being, he walked over to the couch, and sat down with a deep breath. 

His mom placed the tea on the table, and sat across from him on the opposing couch. 

Jimin sat stiffly, not relaxing in the least bit.

A few moments of awkward silence pass by before his mom speaks up.