Ch.17-What now?

Angie's p.o.v

No,no,no. This couldn't be happening. I could see Sweet pea's smile slowly fade the longer it took me to answer until it finally faded completely. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before pulling myself away from him. His hands gripped my waist to keep me in place, and I gave him a pleading look. I didn't want to do this right now.

"Angie... what's wrong?" He begged me with his eyes to answer him, and I could feel my own eyes begin to water.

"I... I can't say yes Pea." His entire demeanor changed from worried to hurt, and the dam that had been holding back my tears burst. "I'm s-so sorry Sweets. I love you so much, but I just can't do it."

"If you love me then why not? I'm not saying we do this now, I'm not even saying we do this in the next five years. I guess this is more of a promise ring than an engagement ring, but I don't understand what's holding you back."

"What if I don't make it out of this? What if by the time I come back you've moved on? What if we lose Alissa? All of these things would drive us apart, and I don't think I could stand the pain of letting you down. It's selfish, I know, but I can't do it." I climbed off of his lap, and made my way out of the room.

I was walking around aimlessly until Fred Andrews pulled into the chop shop. This is it. I took a deep breath and walked back to the room only to find Sweet pea gone. I pretended it didn't hurt as much as it did and grabbed my bag with the few belongings I'd brought along. When I got to the truck we'd be leaving in I saw Sweets standing to the side with his hands in his pockets. I threw my bag in the cab of the truck and made myself go over to him.

"I guess this is it, huh? For the next little while at least." I nodded my head and he copied the gesture. "Be safe. I love you."

"Even after what I just did?" He gave me a sad half smile and closed the distance between us with a hug.

"Yes, even now." He buried his face in my hair and took in a deep breath. Both of us holding onto each other for dear life. "I don't wanna say goodbye."

"Then say see you later." I felt a single tear hit my hair as he squeezed me impossibly tighter.

"I'll see you later." He whispered to me, bending his neck to give me a passionate kiss. "I love you so much, take care of our baby."

"I love you too Pea, and I will." He slowly pulled away and bent down to kiss my stomach. I could see the tears that leaked out of his eyes, his distraught face probably mimicking my own. He placed his forehead to my belly when he'd finished with the lingering kiss, and when I finally looked away from him I saw that the others were gathered around with sad looks on their faces.

When Sweet pea pulled away, I was brought into a group hug by Rosie and Ava.

"We're gonna miss you so much." Ava said through tears. I hugged them tighter, hoping it would hold me together.

"You have no idea how much we appreciate everything you've done for us." I don't think I'd ever seen Rosie cry, but she was holding back tears as she spoke.

"I love you guys. And tell the Angels I love them too." They both nodded and pulled away, leaving only Jughead. I was shocked beyond words when he came over and pulled me into a hug.

"Take care of Archie... for both of us." He glanced over his shoulder at Ava who was hugging Archie tightly, knowing that when she let go he'd be gone. I nodded my consent before my gaze flicked to Sweet pea.

"As long as you promise to do the same for Sweets, for both of us." I gestured down to my stomach and he gave me a small smile in affirmation.

All too soon, Archie and I were loaded into Fred's truck to be carried to the border. With a final wave out the window, I left the love of my life in the rear view mirror, my heart slowly shattering the further we got away.