Chapter-14

Daniel Adams

The day was so hectic and tiring as I had been attending meetings after meetings. After attending my last meeting with a client which was held in a restaurant I bid my farewell and came out of the restaurant only to find that the sun was already down and it was heavily raining.

I ran towards my car and picked the keys from the valet and sat in my car. I pulled the car on the road and drove slowly to avoid any accident as it was pouring heavily.

Suddenly, my eyes landed on a running figure who was covering her head with a shopping bag. Why do I always find her in situations like this? Always trying to hide and this time trying to cover herself from the rain.

I surprised her by stopping the car near her.

"Get in the car, Eloi," I spoke.

"What are you doing here?" She asked in surprise.

"This is not the time to answer that. Just come and sit."

She immediately came around and sat inside on the passenger seat beside me.

"Where is your car? Why were you running in the rain?" I asked as I started the car again.

"This happens when your time is not right." She mumbled lowly. I avoided asking anything because she seemed to be in some tension.

"Look at yourself. You're wet. My penthouse is just five minutes away from here. I'm taking you there so that you can dry yourself and rest a bit." I said giving her a side glance.

"No, Daniel. You don't have to. Just find me a taxi. I'll go home." She said looking outside the window, trying to find a taxi.

"Yeah? Not gonna happen. Your house is twenty minutes away from here and by the time you reach there, you will have a cold, Eloi." I reasoned out.

"Come on, Daniel. My immune system is not weak. Few drops of rain won't make me sick and..." She sneezed before she could complete her sentence.

"See? Symptoms have already arrived. You're coming with me and that's final." I announced.

"But I...I can't go to your h..house." She said directly facing me.

"And why is that?" I frowned.

"We barely know each other." Came her reply. Did she really say that? How could she?

"Really? Haven't you worked for my company? Weren't you the one who was lurking outside my company for four days just to get an apology? Weren't you the one to whom I showed my common eating place? Weren't you the one who offered the hand for friendship? And you're saying we barely know each other?" I asked in disbelief.

"I'm just helping you as a friend. If you have changed your mind and do not consider me your friend anymore then..."

"No, no. It's not what I meant." She replied hastily.  "We are friends... Okay, fine. I'll go with you." She gave in. I smirked secretly.

Emotional Blackmail always works!

If she thought I was going to miss the chance to keep her with me then she was wrong.

And friends? I don't think I considered her just my friend. I was just playing along.

I parked my car in the private parking lot of the building and then we headed to my penthouse.

"Wow! Your house is beautiful." Eloise mumbled in admiration as soon as we stepped into my penthouse.

"Thank you. But the credit goes to the Architect and the interior designer. I just paid for this." I shrugged my shoulders.