Chapter-20

Daniel Adams

Evening rolled by but the awkwardness stayed after the failed attempt of a kiss. Even Amara's presence couldn't completely erase the awkwardness in the atmosphere. After that almost kissing event, we kept a notable distance from each other.

We didn't try to start a conversation unless it was for Amara. Eloise stayed at my place as she wanted to spend time with Amara and couldn't deny it because may it be for Amara, Eloise was spending time with me, at my place and that was enough to satisfy me.

I was in the kitchen rummaging through the fridge to find something light to eat to kill the boring silence. Food has the power to kill boredom and lifts the mood. I found vanilla ice cream and fist-bumped the air and hoped it could erase the awkwardness between us.
I went back to the living room to ask if Eloise wanted to have ice cream or not.

"Do you want ice cream?" I asked. She stopped bouncing Amara on her lap and looked up at me.

"N—"

"Oh, why I'm even asking? No one says no to ice cream." Saying that I picked Amara in my arms and grabbed Eloise's wrist. "Come on, help me in scooping ice cream." I dragged her into the kitchen before she could deny it.

Eloise scooped ice cream in the bowls whereas I kept Amara busy by tickling her, at least her laughter was killing the silence. I sat on the barstool at the bar counter and made Amara sit on the counter, in front of me. Eloise sat beside me.

I picked up the spoon filled with a little ice cream and brought it near Amara's lips. "You want some?" I teased her by circling the spoon in front of her face. Her eyes lit up and a broad smile tugged her lips. She started throwing hands in excitement.

"Hey, she's too young to have ice cream," Eloise commented.

"I know, I'm just teasing her. I don't want her father to play football with my head." I said as I put the spoon in my mouth.

"Xavier Knight will do that?" She laughed.

"Yes, you don't know what he can do. He's always finding excuses to slaughter me." I laughed too.

"Amara, No." I swatted the ice cream bowl away from her as she was trying to dip her finger in it. Ignoring me, she crawled and hit Eloise's bowl with her hand which made the ice cream spill on Eloise's lap.

"Whoa!" Eloise stood up in a jiffy. Amara started licking her ice cream-coated fingers. Shit!

"No, baby, don't do that. Your father will freeze me in the liquid nitrogen." I picked her up in my arms and grabbed her wrist ceasing her from licking the ice cream.

"I'll clean it," Eloise looked for the mop but I stopped her.

"No, I'll do it. You go and clean yourself." I pointed at her thighs.

"It's okay, I'll do it. You take care of Amara." She cajoled.

"No! I'll manage. Just go and clean yourself." She reluctantly nodded her head and went out of the kitchen.

"Now, you baby girl—" My phone suddenly went off and I panicked when I looked at the screen. It was Xavier. Damn!

I hesitantly picked up the call. "Hello, Xavier." I tried to be enthusiastic.

"I'm at the parking lot of your building. Keep Amara and her belongings ready." Saying that he cut the call. Double Damn!

I hastily cleaned Amara's hands and mouth with a tissue and made sure that no trace of ice cream was left. When the doorbell rang, I double-checked Amara before running to open the door.