XX

I felt an invisible hand hold my face and rub away the tear with a thumb.

He hissed and released his grip leaving without a trace of emotion.

"Until next time, pet"

--------------------

It's been a week.

The team Leia sent out had no luck finding Poe near the crash site, no body or any sign of him. When fellow pilot Aaram delivered the news I didn't cry this time I just stared off into the distance. I never got the chance to say sorry to him or the opportunity to build a possible friendship.

I wasn't the only one who missed him of course, Sieana was often a good consoler. I built a good friendship with her, we bonded over fond memories of our friends. Nash showed some signs of distress but wouldn't let emotions make him seem weak. Even the awkward Malik shed a tear.

Poe was looked up to by everyone on the base. A strong leader. A good listener. A good man.

But as we sat in a circle in the mess hall I knew this couldn't last forever, there needed to be hope and I would be the one to bring it.

It had got to the point where sitting and waiting for another attack would do nothing. I looked at the lost faces of my comrades and sighed deeply at their despair. My eyes shifted to the empty plate in front of me.

My eyes glazed with a glossy layer of tears. As I blinked, they dripped down from my eyes and slid down my cheeks. I bit my lip tightly in an attempt to hide the sound of whimpering that tried to escape from my mouth.

I slammed my hands down on the lunch table causing everyone to dart their eyes up to me, a few surrounding tables turned briefly at my action. My sudden burst made my hair flip in front of my face, I blew it away to clear my view.

I met eyes with everyone that sat at the table when I saw Aaram he looked at me in wonder a slight smirk playing on his lips. I chose to ignore it. In the absence of my instructor, Aaram made it upon himself to flirt with me randomly.

"Guys. We cant mope around forever, yes we did lose our closest companions but would they want you to mumble about for the rest of your lives?" my voice was soft and fragile as if it could shatter into pieces. "If our fallen heroes were here they'd say 'Don't just sit there, fight.' and that's-" my lips trembled and my shoulder heaved with emotion.

"-that's what I'm going to do."

The moment the words rolled off my tongue a few people from neighbouring tables turned with shock planted on their face. This made me thrive with confidence, if I had the support of fellow resistance members I could follow through with my plan.

I let a strong smile take over my worn features and I looked for support from my table. Of course, Aaram stood up instantly still acquiring a smirk. He ran his hand through his well kept warm brown hair. He pulled his chair away and walked over to me confidently and rest his arm behind my back. I looked up to his gaze and smiled.

"Whatever you have in mind- I'm in" he looked up at the rest of the table, breaking our eye contact.

"Thank you" I murmured incoherently. I felt my cheeks burn up slightly at his proximity but that smile. My mind wandered to Poe and his smile.

His soft dimples on his tan features. His laugh that rung in my ears. His deep chuckle, stern but sweet. Now is not the time to be drooling over a man that hated my guts.

I didn't realise how long I'd been staring at the wall but I looked up to see the rest of the table standing up, the new found hope gleaming behind their eager eyes. I nodded in thanks and left the table immediately, knowing where I had to go.