XXIX

I held it up to my face, ready for whatever was going to happen. Kylo mimicked my movement and pointed his saber in front of his face. I took a deep breath.

He swung the lightsaber to strike me down.

------------

I anticipated the move. I held the saber upwards in defence and when they clashed together I stumbled back a few steps. Kylo pushed all his weight down. In his eyes I saw no human. I saw a monster. The demon red lights reflected in his eyes and he gritted his teeth and pushed down harder.

The clashing buzz of blue and red danced in the air. His strength caused me to fall back on my feet and he raised his weapon to slice through me. I rolled to the side and bounced back on my feet.

He swung for my head and I ducked the swing barely avoiding the crimson light. He swung left and right and I just about deflected them. His moves were smooth and elegant, mine were weak and tired.

Beads of sweat fell like a waterfall down my face and he showed no sign of giving up.

We pulled apart and I bore into his eyes. He crouched in stance and his chest rose and fell quickly. I cried out of anger and lunged towards him, he deflected the swing easily. He pulled the saber behind his head and went for my arms.

His hunched back radiated animosity and danger. He gritted his teeth and his face sunk. Every move reflected our feelings. I put my heart and soul into each swing, I may not have used a lightsaber before- but that wouldn't stop me.

He hauled it behind his back and put all his power down on me, I fell to the ground as he hovered over me like prey. He secured me down by holding my wrists down with his feet. He stood over me with his scarlet red saber inches from my neck.

"I gave you a chance- an opportunity" he growled, sweat starting to seep down his cheeks. The crackling red light made me squint.

"And I'll offer it to you again" his voice smudged with hesitance. In the corner of my eye I saw Rey still balled up in the corner, I broke the gaze to meet Kylo's.

"If I say no?" for a moment something in my mind ached for the darkness he offered but it was overpowered by my true feelings.

"Then you leave me no choice" The saber inches closer to my neck and I could feel the sparks starting to prick at my skin.

"Then I guess..." I let a devilish smirk rise on my face and Kylo looked fascinated by the strange action.

"...I'll see you in hell."

Kylo stood up straight, processing my words. In his moment of weakness I took the chance to pull out of his grip. I rolled to my side and hopped up and wasted no time on my attack.

This time I felt something more than determination. A burning fire spread from the tips of my fingers to deep in my heart.

I longed for power. I ached for victory.

My hits became more erratic and unpredictable. I let the animal inside control me. It fought rawly and mercilessly.

The blue saber skimmed over his shoulder when he missed my offence. A burning smell started to creep up my nose. He looked to his shoulder in shock then looked back into my eyes.

Kylo was taken back by my actions, he stumbled as I pushed forward. Each swing he threw I deflected with ease.

I forced the saber down on his thigh and he tumbled down onto the wall, dropping his lightsaber to clutch his leg. A deep guttural yell racked my head.

He was down. Our eyes met and his showed remorse and raw emotion. His eyes were deep and stained red.

I hovered the blue saber over his leg.

Hot blood started to fall from the gash I made on his leg. For a moment I stood over him, he looked up powerless searching desperately for his lightsaber.

"You-" his jaw tightened in retaliation. "How did you-" another raw cry fell from his lips when I sunk the lightsaber deep into his leg.

In that moment I was ruthless. Heartless.

He shook violently under the pressure. I gritted my teeth and pulled the saber out, freeing his leg. Somehow he fell back deeper into the wall, blood and sweat falling down his face.

His leg was mottled and raw. Gushing blood ripping out the burning cut. He let out a silent scream and a vein pulsed in his neck.

Suddenly I remembered my friend who also lay on the ground. I sprang on my heels and bolted towards Rey.

She had crawled up into a dark corner and I heard her whimper slightly. I crouched down by her side and held my hand over the dried blood on her thigh.

"H- he's never beaten me like that before" Rey held her head in her hands with embarrassment.

"Escape now. Talk later" I was harsh but I knew she could not dwell on the past now.

I took Rey under my arms for support as we rushed through the corridors leaving Kylo ren immobile in the room.

To me, all the corridors looks the same dark gray tones and shades of black. But Rey called out directions as we half walked half limped to the hangar.

As expected, as soon as the squadron saw our faces, everyone relaxed. Poe turned and met my eyes and I couldn't tell if he was relieved i was alive or pissed I didn't listen.

Nevertheless he darted over as quickly as possible and with another squad member took Rey from my hands.

We sat in the empty hangar scattered with bodies. People started to make a temporary bandage around Rey's leg and she struggled to hide how uncomfortable it was.

"What happened?"

I ripped my gaze to Poe who was sat by my side intently looking into my eyes. His were soft and filled with worry.

"You wouldn't believe it if I told you" I chucked, reliving the moments. I don't think I even believed it.

"Try me" a faint smile touched his lips. I opened my mouth to respond but was interrupted by Jessika standing abruptly.

"We gotta move"

In an instant we all stood up.

"Who's gonna take Rey?" Siena asked fiddling with the helmet in her hands. Rey shot her head and up and shook it.

"I'm perfectly capable to fly myself-"

"No. Not happening- you can barely walk! you can come with me" i retorted at her response and nearly dragged her to the jet. Reluctantly she sat in the back.

The silent hangar was filled with the hum of a dozen engines rumbling. One by one everyone flew out of the base. But I sat still for a moment.

Why haven't they sent anymore troopers or TIE fighters?

Rey pulled me out of my thoughts when she shouted from the back.

"You good?"

I hummed faintly in response and started to press the buttons overhead. I was pushed back into the seat when I pressed down on the accelerator.

We flew forward at rapid speed and caught up with the squadron in a matter of moments.

"Is everyone ok" Poe asked through the microphone. A lot of 'yes commander' came shortly after.

"Yup" I mused in response.

"Then let's head back"

With that we all pulled into light speed for the short journey back to base.

Pulling into the D'qar atmosphere overwhelmed me with a feeling of familiarity. The warm heat often soothed me and the blue skies made me tingle with joy.

The vast green planes greeted me with branches waving in the wind

I peered around the cockpit and saw most people landing already.

I couldn't be happier to be home.

------

leave a like and comment if you enjoyed <3

lowkey loved writing this chapter idk why :/

x