XXIII

I turned away, breaking his stare and focused on breathing steadily.

Poe was here in my arms and he didn't seem hate me.

And he had a lot of explaining to do.

------------

Celebrations of his return lasted through the night.

The harsh scent of drink was lingering on everyone's breath, I tried to keep composed but even I knew I was buzzing more than usual. I finally had something to celebrate and at the bottom of each bottle my brain guided me to refill. Whether or not my body was listening was a different story.

Bodies sway from left to right, some in time with the blaring music, some not. You could tell who was hammered and who was not.

Poe of course was absolutely intoxicated.

I giggled at his laddish manners. His laugh carried through the whole room and he swayed from side to side trying to get everyone involved in his charade. I couldn't help the smug smirk crawl on my lips.

I watched Siena as she walked- no hobbled- over to me with a beer bottle secured in her left hand. A playful laugh left her lips and she sat next to me and slouched slightly. I felt a strong pat on the back as she drunkenly gripped my shoulder

"Y- you" she tripped over he words "You" she pointed at me with the bottle in her hand. "You need to get on tha- that dance floor" the slurred words rolled off her tongue. "And you need to bust a moooove" she wiggled in her seat causing me to chuckle.

"Nah, I'll leave it to the pros" I gestured my head to Poe who was now going all out salsa dancing. Siena doubled over with laughter and spilt some of her beer by my feet. I let out a huff of air as a laugh in response and turned to watch the drunk dancing pilot.

Siena tilted her head curiously and tried to find what I was looking at by coming close to my face and stare at what was in front of me. Her face morphed into an 'o' shape and turned into a sly smile.

"Go" She tapped my shoulder.

"What?" she snapped me out of my trance and I looked her in her eyes which reflected mischief.

"Go to him" I rolled my eyes at this, he was having a good time I didn't want to ruin it.

"N- no its fine" I rubbed my hands together, the charred one was almost healed now but faint scars were appearing.

I heard a huff of annoyance and with that Siena stumbled back onto the makeshift dancefloor. I stared down and held my elbows on my knees. The loud noises coming from the speakers and bad singing hummed in my ears. For the first time in a long time, people were actually enjoying themselves.

A pair of legs blocked the view of the floor and I creased my brows. My eyes trailed up their legs that stood firm on the ground. They were wearing dark grey trousers and a tan beige shirt that hung loosely on their chest. Their arms were crossed.

"This is a party, not a funeral kid"

"Hardly a party if you nearly died" I huffed at his naïve smile. He made it upon himself to sit down by my side leaving an inch gap. He mirrored my slouched position, music powerfully boomed through the speakers.

"Look" he turned to me, his eyes filled with sorrow and hope. I wanted so desperately to apologise but it would be nothing more than covering a bullet hole with a band-aid. He looked down.

"You don't need to apologise to me kid" he fiddled with his shirt cuffs before meeting my gaze again.

"Are you kidding?" I put my hands down by my side "Since the day I came here I've caused nothing but pain and conflict the least I could do is-" He carefully placed his hand on my knee and cut me off before I could continue