XLIII

He was here. For me.

And nothing could scared me more.

---------------------

Curled tendrils beckoned in the unknown.

Racking screams from the base made me rip my eyes from the sky, adrenaline surged through my veins uncontrollably, fight or flight, be a hero or a coward.

As my fingers curled around the black grip of the blaster my decision was made.

I ran into the upcoming war zone. My feet pounded against the tarmac, kissing the damp floor. I covered the paving with a great lolloping gait, nothing I had ever done before. At a speed I've never reached.

My mouth started to feel dry as I heard ongoing explosions behind me. A fist of orange flames punched its way from the sky. The window to my side shattered and the debris splattering against the base's walls and fell below my feet.

Usually, I'd tip toe over the shards of glass but it didn't cross my mind. In the heat of the moment it didn't bother me, I ran full pace through the field of glass.

Alarms- both shrill and deafening erupted.

I jerked my whole body to turn left in the corridor and tripped over myself. I shrieked out in pain as I put my arms out to pillow my fall. The sickening stench of blood invades my nose. A gaping hole in my palm was spitting fiery blood onto the floor where I fell.

A sharp edged piece of glass lay deep into my hand.

A river of boiling red liquid raced along my wrist as I held my hand up to look. Blood didn't bother me anymore, not after last time.

My hand shook uncontrollably. I needed to take the glass out.

My hand hovered over my blood stained hand. I put one ounce of pressure down on the glass and retracted my hand.

This is gonna hurt.

In one quick movement I pulled the glass out and threw it on the floor.

A gut crushing scream escaped my mouth and the pulsing blood continued to fall. An explosion made me tremble.

Onlookers flooded past in a rush, heading to their stations, not paying attention to me. A layer of tears started to blind my tired eyes, stinging them shut.

With hell rising around me I ripped the bottom of my shirt and wrapped it around the open cut, partially stopping the bleeding and praying it wouldn't get infected.

My chest heaved erratically as I supported myself to get up.

I cringed at the ongoing pain in my palm but nonetheless I kept on going, running to my location. My ankle ached, sending sharp pains through my foot.

I stumbled at the door and pushed it open leaving a bloody handprint on the knob. The coolness of the metal was unusually soothing against my mottled, fleshy cut.

In the room, people were running all over the places taking orders from one another.

Our General stood, calm as ever, talking with her commanders.

The distinctive lines on her face were crinkled into a thoughtful frown, she was considering our next moves against our attackers.

The curly headed pilot shot his head round as he saw me limp inside.

He broke from the chaotic meeting and swooped his arm under me so I didn't fall.

"Oh gods" he mumbled and held my cut hand in his gentle callous fingers. His eyes darted to mine, radiating concern.

"Stay there" Poe whipped to the end of the room and looked around frantically for a first aid box, when he found it he pulled it down from the wall and ran back to my side.

He pulled over a chair from behind him and lead me to sit down.

"Fucking hell Skye" he growled as he worked a clean wipe across my hand, I wanted to clench it down but instead I gritted my teeth and barred my eyes shut.

"Commander Dameron, can you please come over here so we can discuss the plan" Leia called out from her meeting. Plan?

Poe didn't answer and desperately rolled out a sheet of bandage, ripping them with his teeth to break off a section.

"Commander" Leia bellowed amongst the chaotic shouts in the office, Poe finally twisted to face her and his brow folded into a frown.

"I'm busy" his voice was sincere but I could see him hiding his regret. He just talked back to his mother figure, something he did often but every time he did it, felt bad.

Leia's eyes widened at his quickfire comment.

Poe wrapped my hand tightly into the bandage and I let out a sharp breath at the pressure.

"I'm sorry, i'm sorry" he tripped over his words as he tried to secure the bandage into a knot.

He bent down close and examined his handy work, he nibbled down on his lip.

"Is that better?" he mumbled before looking into my eyes, I found myself smiling at his protective nature.

"Yeah" I whispered back, barely heard- "You should go back to your meeting" I tilted my head to where the commanding groups were, they were looking over at us disgust planted on their stern faces.

"Some things are more important kid"

In the strange time of war I felt my heart flutter ridiculously. I fought back a compassionate smile, warmth teased my lips to curve up.

I opened my mouth to thank him when a ear crushing explosion came from the offices window that looked out onto the forests.

Glass sprayed out in all directions as people dodged for cover. I felt an arm shield my head and cocoon me down to the floor.

In a moment of eerie silence, I looked up and Poe acted as a barrier to the outside world. He was panting heavily and pulled himself off me carefully.

Abruptly, he jogged to Leia's side and they spoke inaudibly. I watched the two exchange their words as I hauled myself upwards, using the chair as support. The two nodded in sync and Poe jogged back to my side.

"So what's the plan?" I search his red flushed face, Poe looked to the ground for a moment before looking up to me.

"We fight"

----------

it's my birthday!

woo 16 years later here we are😳

x