XLIX

The corners of my vision blacked over and a curtain of darkness blinded me.

I gave into it, letting the dark consume my every being.

--- (This will be in 3rd person)---

* quick note: the next chapters are stretched out over a couple of months so will have time skips in between them *

"Hey, shove up you've been here for hours"

The room was cramped, a two-seater sofa tucked in the corner beside the door and the bed in the middle. Skye's unconscious body was latched up to wires, connecting to an oxygen supply and blood pressure machine.

"And I'll be here for more if I have too" Poe shuffled up the chair to give room for Siena who plopped down next to him, looking nervously at her hands

In an aching moment of silence, Poe didn't keep his eyes of the girl in the bed. She looked so helpless, her skin clung tightly to her cheekbones and due to the lack of food, they were more defined than usual.

Her skin was like ash. A dead fire, embers no longer fluttering around her.

She looked almost dead.

"Any news" Siena piped up, looking over at Poe and noticing the permanent frown of worry that twisted on his olive skin.

"Ren's gone so its been quiet. Too quiet" Poe's voice was darker than usual, the heavy blow of nearly losing someone he cared for was getting to him. Leia gave him frequent reassurance that Skye would be fine. He wanted to believe it, he really did but didn't have the will for it.

"Quiet's good" Siena grimaced in the dim lighting, pulling her eyes back to Skye.

"It was quiet before you came here" Poe mumbled. Siena shot her head round to him and smacked him on the arm, causing him to chuckle sending deep vibrations through the usually silent room.

"Uh shut up. That's my best friend" Siena scowled, looking back to her friend.

"That's my student"

"You're so childish" Siena's eyes rolled back at the snarky pilot. He got on her nerves (especially recently) but Siena knew he meant well.

"I could say the same about you" Poe snapped back, his eyes trailing up Siena's limp frame. Her white flushed hand hung over the side of the bed. He hated how he couldn't help her, the doctors said it was only a matter of patience.

And Poe was running out of it.

The two hunched over in silence. It was evening so the low lighting made it difficult to see their faces, Poe thrived in this. He didn't want to seem weak, it wasn't who he was. Dark-ringed eye bags had made an uncomfortable home on his shadowed face.

Lack of sleep was getting to him, he would spend endless weeks sitting on the sofa. Sprawling out, giving the girl company she didn't even know.

And he spoke to her.

Poe didn't know if she could hear him but he still spoke. For hours. Telling her every detail about his day, how he and BB-8 were working on a new asset for his prized jet, how he missed (though he hated to admit it) her. Poe missed her snappy comments, her little smile that reached deep beyond her eyes.

Her everything.

At his side, he felt Siena ruffling about. Poe tilted his head up and saw the girl starting to stand up.

"Leaving so soon?" Poe questioned.

"I've got a debrief mission about some alliance on Abafar"

"Oh" Poe grunted in response, bringing his eyes back to the ghostly tinted girl. Siena stepped into the doorway and stopped, she brought herself back round to take a look at the duo. Poe had pulled himself up and sat on the edge of the bed.

Siena's lips twitched into a quick smile at the pilot. He was good for her and that put Siena's mind to rest. At first, she did not trust him one bit especially after the incident with Lora. But her gut told her that Poe was going to look out for Skye through thick and thin.

The door shut quietly behind her.

The tips of Poe's fingers brushed against her battered skin. Purple and yellow blotches stood out against her translucent arms. Purple-black welts were scattered across her delicate neck like some formidable disease.

Her skin was cold but it only filled Poe with more pain than before.

Carefully, he lifted her light hand, treating it like a piece of china, delicately holding it in his hand.

"Hey kid" Poe stared down at the girl, he noted how her chest raised shallowly as calculated, warm breaths slipped through her open lips.

"Didn't do much today" he bit the inside of his cheek, imagining her making a back handed comment about how she saved his life again.

"BB-8 and I worked on the boosters" he lit up slightly, remembering the only productive bit of his day.

"Yeah- they're coming along nicely" his thumb started to rub against the back of her arctic feeling hand. His weary sigh softly deflated and fell in the night air.

The steady beep coming from another machine attached to her caught his attention. The jagged red lines going up and down showed her steady heartbeat.

A small weight came off his shoulders.

The heartbeat was a reminder she was still with him, clinging on.

"You're a fighter kid"

He pulled her hand up to his lips.

The iciness clashed against his warm, soft lips. He breathed out deeply, spreading a warm shive up her cold arms.

Poe sat by her side, engulfed in silence.

He frowned as his eyes caught the reminiscence of a scar on her shoulder. Those battle scars held hundreds of stories he couldn't even begin to comprehend.

"When you're back you can help BB and I," he pulled her hand away from his lips and put it back down by her side, his hand hovered over hers for a moment before he pulled back to stand up.

As always, he left his jacket on the chair by the door so if she woke up when he wasn't there she would recognise his symbol. Poe looked back over his shoulder, she lay down in the same position he always saw.

Her matted and knotty hair was crumpled up over her head, healing cuts on her lips infused with dry blood. It broke him when he saw her.

A distant smile curled his lips up, he had hope she would pull through from whatever was going on and he had hope that when she was back-

He could start over again.

----------------

this was kinda a shitty filler but im excited for the next chapter heheh

also writing in 3rd person is hard and I have mad respect for those who can do it so well!

x