XXII

"Want a drink?" she gestured to the mahogany cabinet on her right stacked with rows of white and red wine. I grinned when I replied.

"Definitely"

--------------

I was lying on a sofa.

From the pounding headache and the layer of dehydrated saliva on my tongue I was more than aware I drank a bit too much last night. The room was dimly yet but as I slowly opened my eyes a wave of nausea hit me. The light seemed really bright and pricked at my squinted eyes.

An irritated groan came from under the covers of the bed and Siena kicked her legs in the air, pushing the duvet of her. I watched her sit up slowly becoming aware of the situation she out herself in. She met my gaze and I guided her eyes to the floor where 6 bottles of wine lay empty on the floor.

"Shit" Siena mumbled and rubbed the back of her head. I would've laughed if I wasn't half asleep.

I looked down at myself and sighed at my state. I was still dressed in khaki trousers and a tan shirt which now sported a red wine stain down the centre. That's gonna be a pain to get out. I internally moaned in annoyance.

I stepped carefully over the scattered bottles and sat down on the bed next to Siena who was staring at her ceiling. We sat in quiet for a few moment until Siena spoke up.

"Thanks for the company" an uneven smile played on her face. I grinned back.

"No, thank you" I fiddled with her sheets. I looked up to her door at the clock that was ticking constantly. 0730. Gods that's early. I rolled my eyes and heaved off the bed. Siena didn't move a muscle.

My heart skipped.

"Shit- shit shit Siena" she looked up at my now tense body. "Siena the final base meeting is today" I bit the inside of my cheek hard enough it could've drawn blood. Siena shot up to her feet eyes wide in anticipation, she shook her head thoroughly and mumbled stuff to herself as she cleaned up the bottles on the floor.

All of a sudden I was very awake.

"Can I use your refresher?" I asked nicely. I was extremely jealous of her private bathroom. She didn't share a room with anyone so she got her own perks.

"Of course" Siena fumbled getting dressed into fresh clothes and tripped over her jumpsuit.

My toes flinched at the chilled tiles on the shower floor. The water pools down in floods. The refreshing lukewarm water drips down my face and I melt into a foggy dullness. Steam rises up the glass panels surrounding me and I trace random shapes with my fingers on the glass. Condensation slides down to the drain.

I could've stood under the waterfall for ever but I knew I couldn't. Today was important.

Siena had layed out her spare pilot jumpsuit and I stepped into it, luckily we were roughly the same size. The suit was a bit tight for my liking and it emphasised my hips on my small frame. I looked in the mirror at the birds nest on my head and I scowled. Brushing out the tangles made me wince a little but eventually I tamed the jungle of nots.

I pulled it into a slick low pony tail and pulled two pieces down at the front to frame my face. I wasn't one for caring about what I looked like but I did not want to look like an egg. I stared at myself in the mirror, happy with my somewhat acceptable look.

"You ready?" Siena peered around the corner, looking immaculate and as if she hadn't drunk at all. I nodded in response and we swiftly left for the meeting.

Siena looked at her watch and mumbled slightly, picking up the pace. Due to my height I was almost jogging to keep up. We reached the office door which was ajar. Voices and low humming of machines came from inside. We slipped in unnoticed, or so we thought.

"Nice of you to join us ladies" Leia was stood by a hologram of the Finalizer with a weird smile on her face. Everyone turned to Siena and I in the corner of the room. We mumbled embarrassed 'sorries' and took a place a few rows back of the semi circle around the General.

I zoned out for the most part, i need to stop making a habit of doing that. I watched the general closer than usual. She seemed oddly optimistic, like everything in the galaxy was fine. I crinkled my eyebrows and in my eyes lay a thousand questions.

"- The Black Squadron is going to be our front line attack. Temmin I want you to make sure everyone gets back safely." The man nodded in confirmation. "Good I cant afford to lose you all" Leia reached out and held the hand of Jessika Pava, a Black Squadron member. The girl smiled lightly at the older lady.

I felt a nudge brush past my leg almost knocking me over. I furrowed my brow and looked to the ground to see nothing. The few rows ahead of me wobbled slightly. Everyone started to look at the General in complete shock. A few laughs of disbelief came through.

I went on my tip toes to try and see what everyone was gawking at. What my eyes saw could've sent me over the edge.

An orange and white sphere rolled around the General beeping and whistling happily and with relief. The General didn't say much but just looked behind my head with a smug look on her face. I tilted my head with confusion when everyone turned and ran past me.

I looked at the General who nodded her head in a 'go look' way. I blinked fast and turned on my heel to face the commotion.

In the shouts of joy and laughter one face stuck out. No words could express my elation. My heart did somersaults of relief and when they looked me in the eye. The natural sunlight beamed from one side, lighting up half of his face.

Everything surrounding me seemed to blur into a mess leaving my soul focus on the figure in front of me. I studied his face looking for any sign of emotion.

I expected nothing but anger. But I didn't get it.

They stepped forward, ignoring the sound of delight and didn't break our eye contact. My jaw dropped slightly as I took in the view. A smug look came across their face and their soft dimples became prominent. They stood right in front of me. The world stopped.

"Did you miss me?" The deep voice chuckled at my gawking look.

He was alive. Poe Dameron was alive.

I didn't expect my next actions and neither did he. I wrapped him in a hug and I lay my head against his chest. I felt his chest move when he laughed at my pure shock. His grip enveloped me and made me feel safe. I shook my head and my hands trembled around his waist.

But he died. I saw him die.

I must be imagining this and as if he read my thoughts he spoke.

"It takes more than a crash to get rid of me kid" he rested his chin on top of my head and I felt his warm breath trickle down the back of my neck causing the hairs to stand up. I felt his shirt dampened at my tears of joy. The cold void of loss was filled with him.

"Do not do that again" I shook in his embrace, the realisation hitting me that he lived. He pulled back and held my shoulders in his grip and looked deep into the windows of my soul.

"I wont, I promise" he looked around my face and pulled me back into his warm embrace, tighter this time.

"I promise" he mumbled into my hair and I felt his smile play on my head.

I sighed deeply at the unexpected reunion and as my head was on his chest I peered to the left.

Aaram stood cross armed. His eyes were narrowed, cold, rigid, hard. They reflected everything but saw nothing. The stare he gave showed more than enough, if looks could kill he would strike me down with one blink.

The voices of everyone warmly buzzing was muffled and blurred out. All I saw was a man with pure disgust in his eyes.

I turned away, breaking his stare and focused on breathing steadily.

Poe was here in my arms and he didn't seem hate me.

And he had a lot of explaining to do.

------------

heehhe he's backkkk

yay lots of poe next chapter mwahha

x