Chapter 1

(⚠️ TW: suicidal mentions ⚠️)

I sat on the edge of the building, legs dangling off the side, staring out to the city.
All Might had left about 10 minutes ago, and my entire world around him had just shattered.

'You should've been expecting this, deep down you know what he said was true. You will always be a quirkless failure.'

Something wet spilled down my cheeks and I angrily wiped it away with the back of my sleeve.

I had found him on top of a building on my way home, and in my starstruck state I had made my way up to the top before he was gone.

He was nice enough to sign a notebook I had lying around in my bag with a smile before I had asked him a question that had been in my head for almost all of my life.

"Can a quirkless person like me, still become a hero?" I had asked.

And I'll never forget what he said.

"No, without a quirk, you can't become a hero."

I guess I should've seen this coming, but my stubbornness made me think that there was a chance that I could be a hero somehow.
But I was wrong.
Even the Symbol of Peace confirmed that.

Even when my parents were alive, they thought it wasn't possible, trying to reassure me that it was fine to be like this.
When they were gone I thought I still had a chance that it could happen.

They were right, I should've listened to them.

I looked down to the ground far below me, I could just end it all here, one step and I would be able to join my parents.

No one would care.
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
It's not worth it.

Even if I did it, it would probably be found out that I was quirkless and that would probably be talked about.

I remember a few weeks ago, there was a suicide of a man who was found to be quirkless and it was determined that it was his main drive to the edge.

I overheard people say how sad it was that it was the reason of his death and that shouldn't be an excuse to die.

I didn't want to be remembered like that.

I brushed the hair out of my eyes and stood up, adjusting my bag and walking downstairs to the streets.

As I walked, staring at the ground, I felt my shoulder collide with someone and hearing a clatter behind me.
"Owww...." someone said as I heard some shuffling behind me.
I turned around to see a boy with bright green hair getting up off the ground, picking up a battered notebook.
"Oh, I'm sorry." I apologised.
"It's alright." He replied, flashing me a grin before walking off the way I came from.

I noticed his shoulders sagging as he walked off but thought nothing about it, continuing on my way.

I suddenly heard a loud explosion a few streets away back in the direction I came from, making me start to run in the direction to see what was happening.

'Why are you running? You can't do anything to help them.'

I slowed down before stopping and turning back around, walking back the way I was going originally.

I couldn't do anything, and it would be a waste of time to go back just to see what was happening.

—————

The orphanage loomed over me as I opened the gate and walked to the front door, letting myself in.

"Hey (Y/n), how was your day at school today?" Faye asked me from her spot at the front desk with her always comforting smile.

She was one of the few people (well, only person) who I liked, she was like a secondary mother figure to me at times.

But I wasn't in the mood to talk, so I just sent her a half-hearted smile.
"Same old, same old." I lied. "But I have some homework to do."

"Okay." She said with a smile as I trudged up the stairs.

I had no homework, getting it all finished during a study lesson at school and was on top of any assignments and work.

I didn't have many things to do otherwise.

Slightly out of breath, I reached the top floor, but walked over to a small door in the corner and opened it, walking up another narrow set of stairs and shutting the door behind me.

I finally came up to my room, bed shoved in the corner with a desk adjacent to it, large window that let light through and had a small balcony I could get to by crawling through, next to the doorway was a closet and mirror with a tiny bathroom to the side.

The room was actually quite new, I'm happy that the orphanage actually opted to add the room for me.

I originally shared a room with another person on the second floor...but there were some mishaps that took place that resulted in me getting my own room away from the others.

Let's just say he got what he deserved.

The first thing I did was throw my bag onto the bed and get out of my uniform, before sitting at my desk.

Above it was an old poster of All Might that I had in my old room...before I came here.

But just staring at it made my blood boil.

I carefully took it down from the wall and opened my window, crawling through to the small balcony that overlooked the city.

I sat and stared out at the buildings, watching small people go about their daily lives, not caring about the small things in life.

I stared at the poster, a mixture of resentment and failure churning in my stomach.

I still admired the man...I just can't cope with being told that I couldn't become a hero because I didn't have a quirk by him.

A gust of wind tore through the air, the poster rustled in my hand, desperately trying to get out of my grip.

I took a deep breath and stared at the poster one final time.

And let it go.

Word count: 1028 words