Chapter four.. Actors & masks👺👹

Rainbow's POV.

It's funny how we only call people we see acting on TV screens actors and actresses.

When we have those everywhere in our everyday lives.

They're your friends, siblings, parents, neighbors and even partners.

Of course you won't see it because they don't want you to. But if you look really close enough we're all wearing masks.

People wear masks for various reasons.

We wear them to hide the truth about what really goes on in our daily lives and me?

I wear mine to cover everything: Pain, depression, bruises, nightmares, emptiness, to name a few.

But the one thing I'm really feeling guilty for right now is guilt of deception.

In a few more minutes mama's face is gonna popped up on the screen of this iPad I'm holding and i will wear the biggest, fakest smile i can muster to converse with her about everything and everyone.

We will talk animatedly about new projects that are being put in place for the kids, and how much improvement has occurred since the last time i visited.

I will share one or two tears of joy of how excited i am for the good news and how I'm missing everyone but can't visit at the moment because of work, which will lead to the nonexistent artwork that I'm supposedly working on at the moment but she can't see it because i signed a NDA.

sighs

Only if she knew i haven't touched a paint brush in three years.

My artwork is what connected me with mama the most because she's an art fanatic herself.

In case you're wondering, we call all the Nannies at the orphanage mothers because they are the closest thing we have to families.

But I'm especially close with mama Evelyn because we have so much in common and she protected me from the harsh realities of this world...at least when i was a kid.

Seeing my reflection on the iPad's screen made me sick to my stomach. A face full of makeup, its so caked i fear if i smile to wide it might fall off.

I'm wearing one of my finest turtle neck gowns with my favorite colors: white and purple. Mama had always liked me wearing white, she'd say it represents purity and peace.

Scoffs!

Nothing in my life is pure or peaceful.

I was so lost in thoughts that i didn't hear the constant beeping from the device in my hands letting me know mama was calling.

Startled, i taped on the screen to accept the call while plastering the fakest, biggest smile. I spoke.

"Hey mama"  Thankfully i didn't stutter.

"Hello, my beautiful baby" She replied with her face so close to the device, i'm sure her nose is touching it...what's she doing?

"Ma, mama what are you doing?"  Before i could get my question across to her she said.

"Bow?

Baby, are you there...

why can't i see you?"

Ah! Mama has issues with technologies you see, she's convinced they're gonna take over our souls someday. I still remember how much stress i went through just to get her to finally start using the iPad Ben got her as a birthday gift.

"Its okay ma, i'm right here and i can see you; you just have to put your camera on just like i taught you and you can see me" Seeing her poking around the screen i said.

"No!"

"Not like that!"

"Its the tiny image of a camera, way up right..."

"Noo"

"Not my right!"

"Your right! Yeah that one" Sighs in relief

"Hey! Can you see me now?" I asked.

"Yes! Oh my beautiful baby girl...there you are, i miss you so much!" She said.

"I've missed you too mama,
how are you doing?" I said trying to stop myself from crying, no matter how many times we do this, i still can't control my emotions.

"I'm fine baby, we're all doing great. Your brothers and sisters are all saying hi!"

"Of course i can't let them all talk at once, you know how that went the last time" She managed to say all that in one breath and i laughed, trying to keep my voice from creaking i said.

"Tell them i said hello too and i missed them so much!" This time wiping a tear.

"Will do baby girl"

"So, Your mothers and I were talking and we came up with a suggestion" Oh no! this can't be good, nothing good ever comes out of their "talks" last time they had one, they came to visit and i had to pretend Ben and i were still sharing a room and being all couples like (shivers) I slept on the cold hard floor for two weeks.

"Oh yeah...about what?" With a triumphant smile as if she'd just found a solution on how to end world hunger, she said the one word I've been too terrified of thinking about.

"Adoption" 

I felt my stomach dropped. Noticing the swollen look on my face; she quickly added.

"Look baby...i know you two have been trying to have your own kids, but its been so long and we think you should consider other options."

Oh yeah...they think i can't have kids, only if she knew.

Forcing down the cry that's threatening to burst out any time i said.

"I don't know about that mama, we've never really discussed that as an option...-" Cutting me off she said.

"I know baby but you gotta have to look at other options soon enough. Tell you what? Why don't you discuss it with your husband first and we can go from there yeah?"

"Yeah okay, i will do that" Knowing i couldn't continue this conversation anymore, i told her goodbye and switched off the device before releasing the breath i didn't even know i was holding in, finally letting go of the cry I've been holding in i broke down and cried my eyes out only to look up and came face to face with...

Ben!!!

------------------------
Dun dun dun!!! Cliffhanger, who saw that one coming? 😂😂I cried so hard writing this chapter. What do you think Ben will do? How much of what was said did he hear? Vote, comment and follow for more chapters.😉😘😘

P.S the song on my media is tilted six feet apart by Luke Combs, i was listening to it while writing its really good.