Chapter Eight. Universe is that you?

Rainbow's POV.

Mama always said that the universe sends us exactly what we are ready for at the exact time we need it our lives.

Sighs

What i need right now is a break...a break from everything.

God knows i need one especially after everything that happened over the weekend.

Ben never did come out of his office that day, not while i was in clear sight at least. I'd waited half of the day for him to come out without so much as a bathroom break, afternoon nap or whatsoever.

I had to think logically, he will need food and i needed to talk to him...i can't take the food to him of course and he won't come out as long i was there.

So, i left the kitchen and a few minutes later guess what?

My husband was sneaking into the kitchen for food.

Chuckles...

At least that one thing hasn't changed, he was always terrible at sneaking.

One time he tried sneaking up on me and ended up knocking down everything on his path while i had to pretend i wasn't aware of what was happening till he tapped me on the shoulder with a 'Boo!' sound as i feigned a very convincing shrike.

He was so happy that he'd finally scared me that i didn't have the heart to tell him that i knew he was there the whole time.

I didn't even realize i was smiling widely while still standing in an open parking lot of the grocery store like a fool until i heard a voice saying.

"Howdy neighbor?"

"You doing alright there?" Startled i dropped the bag of fruits i was holding with a yelp.

"Shit!"

I cursed out loud rushing after the traitorous fruits that were running away with speed as if they're running from something.

Great!

Even fruits can't stand the sight of me i thought while trying to gather as much fruits as i could only to raise my head and came face to face with the culprit that caused this disaster.

"Sorry, Sorry, i am so sorry i startled you, if I'd known you were lost in thoughts i would've approached you differently" He said as i collected the fruits he was holding out to me before i replying.

''Don't worry about it" Taking in his appearance i still couldn't place where I'd seen him, so i asked.

"Do i know you?" He laughs nervously before apologizing again and says.

"Yes! "

"And no

not really" Raising my brows at him as if to say he's not making any sense, he continued.

"I have seen you around...maybe waved at you a couple of times but we've never been introduced. I'm Hunter Riggs...your new neighbor, nice to meet you" Something clicked, the pieces were all coming back to me now.

Of course!

Its the creepy man that's been waving at me from that old building adjacent my house.

Except!...all his beards are gone now and he doesn't look so scary anymore.

Damn, he cleaned up good.

Then my eyes bulge as if i just remembered he's still here as i asked.

"Are you following me?" And he has the nerves to laugh before saying.

"Nah! I was out here too getting some food supplies when i saw you smiling at the open trunk and i decided to say hello. Y'know...seeing as we're neighbors and all"

Looking at him warily i wonder.

Why now?

I mean he'd only been watching me for what...two weeks? and suddenly he wants to talk?

As if he'd read my mind he answered my unasked questions.

"I've been seeing you since i got back" Since he got back?

Was he on some kind of trip or something?

"And i wanted to talk to you but you've got that look, so...yeah i kept my distance" Just like that he was walking away saying.

"But my doors are always open, so If you ever wanna drop by for a cup of tea or even a drink you know where to find me...we're neighbors after all"

And he's gone before i can ask, what kind of look?

I have a look?

Aish!!

Who cares what he thinks anyways.

Just yesterday i thought he was a just homeless hobo and now he's all Mr shrink and shit.

Sighs

Finally dumping the bag of stubborn fruits in the trunk I entered my car while remembering the unfinished chores waiting for me at home.

I better go finish them before Ben gets back than stay here and worry about what my psycho neighbor said.

Scoffs

Hunter?

What kind of name is that?

Who even names their child that?

-------+-++++++-----------------
Author's Note

Surprise!!!

Another chapter as promised and a new character.

Yeah! that was the surprise i talked about yesterday. What do you think of Hunter's character?

Do you like Rainbow's sassy side? What do you think will happen when Ben finds out about him?

Vote, comment and follow lemme know what you think 🙏🙏