Chapter 11

THE CUT

Going to her old drug dealer in the cut with Rafe wasn't something Violet had ever planned to do when she got back from rehab. But here she was, coming to his rescue for the hope that he might not die from an overdose.

"Stay here." Violet says.

"No, are you kidding me? I'm not letting you go in there alone." Rafe says

"I'm a big girl, I'm not 10 anymore Rafe." Violet says, rejecting him.

"You're 15." Rafe says.

"And you're 16..  your point is?" Violet says.

"I'm coming with you whether you like it or not." Rafe says, following her.

"Where's Barry?" Violet asks, there were a lot of people in the house, looking for their fix or just hanging out. JJ's dad was one of them, addicted to painkillers, but Violet didn't know who he was at the moment. One of the guys in the house point them in a direction.

"Country club, what's up?" Barry asks, seeing Rafe.

"Shoulda worn a wife beater." Rafe says, they both shake hand.

"You couldn't beat nobody." Barry says.

"Long time no see. My #1 customer." Barry says, seeing Violet a formerly frequent customer.

"Sadly, I don't do that anymore." Violet says.

"What are you here for then?" Barry asks.

"This is double what he owes. Consider it even." Violet says, handing Barry a stack of cash worth 30k.

"Pretty generous huh? You need a lil something extra with that?" Barry asks Violet, pulling out a prescription bottle from his pocket.

"No— I'm fine." She says, trying not to look at the bottle, it made her uncomfortable.

"I'll take it." Rafe happily says, Barry throws the bottle at him and Violet drags him out, upset.

"Let's go." Violet says, sternly.

"Was good seeing you, country club!" Barry yells as they leave.

"Why would you do that?" Violet asks Rafe. The two were standing in front of his motorcycle.

"They might come in handy, you never know." Rafe says, shrugging.

"You don't need that." Violet says, crossing her arms.

"What if I need it?" Rafe asks.

"Give it to me! You promised you would stop. Literally just paid your debt so you'd stop." Violet demands.

"No." He shakes his head.

"These nearly killed you." He adds, holding up the bottle.

"Those aren't the same pills. They're safer with me than with you." Violet says.

"V, I'm not gonna fight you on this. Just lemme hold onto them, I saw how uncomfortable you looked when he held it up." Rafe says, coming up with an excuse. She felt like he just wanted another substance to abuse.

"Give them to me or I'm walking home." Violet says, giving him an ultimatum.

"That's like three miles! You know how dangerous it is out here? In the cut?!" Rafe disagrees.