Chapter 19

THE THORNTON RESIDENCE

The sound of the blaring alarm clock wakes Violet up. Her head was hurting and she was confused at how she even got home.

She was still in her bed, still in her dress from midsummers and there was a baby blue blazer wrapped around her, one that could only belong to Rafe Cameron. She got up, changing out of her dress and into some fresh clothes.

After changing into some fresh clothes she heard a knock on her window. There was only one person who ever used the window and that was JJ. She goes over to open the window for him to come in.

"Hey." Violet says, squinting her eyes at the sunlight.

"You're alive?" JJ jokes, his face confused. He felt a weight lifted off of him.

"I hope I am? Unless this is hell." Violet jokes, trying to not make it a big deal.

"What happened yesterday?" JJ asks.

"My head hurts like a bitch. I don't know— the last thing I remember was yelling at Topper and him pushing me off the ledge." Violet says.

"He home by any chance? I wanna show him something." JJ asks. He notices the baby blue blazer on her bed, he wondered if Rafe was still around but he probably wasn't since Violet let him in.

"I don't know, I just woke up. Guess I know who's getting the best brother award." Violet says, scratching her head.

"I looked for you at the hospital and when I couldn't find you I—" JJ trails off, his worried side was starting to come out.

"Dude." Violet says, putting her hand on his shoulder.

"If I was gonna die, I wouldn't pick falling off a tower." Violet adds, getting closer to JJ. He put a strand of hair behind her ears, holding her face with his hand. There were footsteps approaching and both of them looked a each other with wide eyes.

"Get in the closet." Violet whispers, shoving him in as the door opened to Rafe and Topper who were standing there.

Violet goes over and slaps her brother across the face, which was sure to leave a mark. Rafe flinched in surprise.

"I deserved that." Topper says, looking away.

"I'm suing you for attempted murder." Violet says, rolling her eyes.

"I barely touched you. The railing must've been rotten or something." Topper denies.

"Whatever you say, psycho. It is disgusting to be related to you." Violet says, not believing him.

JJ was watching the fight between the siblings through a gap in the door of the closet, barely enough to see anything but he heard everything.

"Why didn't you take me to the hospital? I basically got pushed off a cliff!" Violet yells.

"Mom would've killed me! You had a pulse and you were breathing, don't be dramatic!" Topper says.

"Brain damage is a thing you know! Ever heard of a TBI? I just had a concussion cause of your fight too!" Violet yells.

"Classic Violet, being dramatic as always. You're still breathing aren't you?" Topper says, leaving the room. It was now only her and Rafe.

"Yeah and if my brain shuts off— I'm coming for you next." Violet threatens, having the last word.

"You can have your blazer back." Violet says, throwing the blazer at Rafe.