Chapter 21

THE CAMERON RESIDENCE

"Hey." Topper says, walking into the Cameron house with Violet.

"How's John B? Is he— is he doing alright?" Topper asks.

"Don't act like you care." Violet says.

"I barely touched you— he lost his balance and fell when you tripped onto him." Topper says.

"I didn't trip you idiot you shoved me!" Violet says.

"Don't lie to me, you could've killed your sister and John B." Sarah says.

"Midsummers was supposed to be our coming out party— it was supposed to be something special, what happened?" Topper asks.

"Dude, she hasn't been into you for a while, you know." Violet says.

"Why does it matter, Topper? We're in high school it's not like we're getting married." Sarah says. 

"I don't care if we're in high school! I love you!" Topper says.

"No you don't Topper! You love the idea of me! You love being seen with me but you don't love me!" Sarah yells.

"You have no idea what I'm feeling. What about— what about this summer? This summer was supposed to be legendary." Topper says.

"You say that every summer!" Violet yells.

"I don't care anymore, not after what you did. I don't wanna be with you." Sarah says, walking away.

"Took you long enough." Violet says to Sarah.

"Dude who's side are you on?!" Sarah yells at Violet.

"The only side I'm ever on. Violet's side." Violet snaps back.

"What I did? What about what you did? Did you forget the part where you cheated on me?! Huh?! Did you forget that Sarah?!" Topper yells, getting closer to Sarah.

"You're a slut! You know that? You're a slut!" Topper yells, getting a slap in the face from Violet.

"That was so not classy! Mom taught you better than that." Violet says.

"You need to go, Top. Leave." Violet says, yelling at her brother while Sarah was in the corner crying. 

Topper stood there for a moment in silence, leaving

Topper stood there for a moment in silence, leaving. Violet heard Sarah's sniffles in the corner. She goes over to pull Sarah in for a hug, which she rarely did.

"There, there. At least you have my other brother." Violet says, awkwardly patting Sarah on the back.

"So, we got work to do, that gold is not gonna find itself." Violet says, but Sarah was still crying.

"Okay, so the plan is that we're gonna split up and—" Violet was cut off by the sound of yelling outside.

"You hear that?" Violet asks Sarah. There was sounds of yelling and screaming coming from outside.