Chapter 13

MIDSUMMERS PT. I

THE COUNTRY CLUB

Midsummer, the celebration of the summer. Everyone looked forward to it, those who weren't in the club wished they were, and those who were already in spent the whole year planning their next outfits. 

She nearly tore her room apart looking for the bottle of pills that she had taken from Rafe, but couldn't find them anywhere. They had disappeared and she didn't know where they could have been. She couldn't keep the secret to herself for much longer and didn't know if she would need the pills to help her keep the secret.

"Can you grab Topper from the golf course? Towers are all still down, it's useless to call." Dr. Thornton says, walking into her room.

"The dinner doesn't start until like three more hours." Violet says, staring at her closet.

"You will wear what I picked, you can try it on after you bring Topper home." Dr. Thornton says.

"Are you gonna tell him the truth? Or do I have to do it?" Violet asks.

"Do not tell your brother. He's already on edge because of his father." Her mom says.

"Fine, but now you have two kids with daddy issues

"Fine, but now you have two kids with daddy issues." Violet says, sighing as she walked out the front door. She got on Topper's bicycle and made her way down to the Country Club. They were supposed to be closing soon to prepare for Midsummers anyways.

She got there within a fifteen minute bike ride and made her way through the golf course. Topper and Rafe were golfing in the far end.

"Man that party was insane! I mean, my first thought when I did the line was bro do we have enough?!" Topper says.

"Man, I've been telling you about the good stuff, too bad your sister's making me stop." Rafe says. Topper chuckles.

"Wait.. you're not actually gonna listen to her are you?" Topper asks, laughing.

"Nah, I got some pills for tonight." Rafe says, smirking. A part of him felt guilty for lying to her, but he pushed it away.

"Can't wait to get shitfaced." Topper comments. Rafe saw Violet approaching them from a distance. 

"Looks like your babysitter's here." Rafe says, referring to Violet. It was like he had two different sides to him. One when he was around Topper and the boys, and one when he was around Violet.

"What does drama queen want now?" Topper mutters.

"Mom wants you home." Violet says, crossing her arms.