|23| Pretend Family

'I messed up! I messed up!' The Older Sister Spider Demon panicked while holding her hands on her head while running. 'And I was the only one who never messed up until now in this Pretend Family game!'

A flashback of the Older Sister Spider Demon reminisced in her head. She is seen running away from someone and she was different than the current. Her eyes were black, her facial features were that of a normal human except her eyes and she wore a green kimono while running away from a bunch of Demon Slayers that are coming to slay her.

She lost her footing and fell down to the ground with a thud. Her eyes looked back at the Demon Slayers that surrounded her.

"We finally drove her into a corner!" A male Demon Slayer, presumably the leader of his squad, said.

"Hey, look at that." Another male Demon Slayer said as he told his squad to look at the house in the middle of the dense forest. On top of the peak of the house stood non other than Rui.

"A demon?" He said.

"It's just a kid." The leader said and narrowed his eyes at Rui. "But even if it looks like a kid, it's still a demon! If we let it go, it'll devour humans!"

Rui looked down on them then turned to talk to the demon girl. "Hey... Hey... You want me to save you?"

"Eh?" She glanced up at the pale demon boy with uncertainty.

"In return, will you do what I ask?" Rui offered her.

"I'll do anything! I'll do whatever you want, so please save me!" She cried out for him desperately.

"Then, become a part of my family." Rui declared, making an offer she can't refuse.

"I will! I'll do it!" Without hesitation, she complied with his demand and was willing to become one of his family.

"What are they talking about?" One of the Demon Slayers asked in confusion, having heard of their conversation.

The leader stepped up, sword in hand, ready to decapitate the demoness. "All right, it's over for you!"

But before he can ever do such a thing, Rui used his threads hidden in the trees and sliced every Demon Slayers in the vicinity into pieces in only a blink of an eye. The demon girl stood up, spectating the dead remains of the leader and his broken sword, then back towards the house with all the family members of Rui.

She looked at them with wonder on her eyes. She didn't imagine a family like this. Her wavering eyes eventually calmed down when she felt her hand being grabbed gently by Rui, who walked beside her.

"Welcome." Rui continued. "Starting today, you're part of my family, too."

They all welcomed her in with open arms with Rui leading the way. She reluctantly abided his way and followed him inside while the others went to their ways inside the household. She wondered why they haven't spared a solemn look at her like they weren't excited to see a new family member being accepted by Rui.

And one thing is bothering her. They were bonded. Demons never bond and be with each other.

It's a mystery she must solve on her own.

Rui and a female spider demon had led her into a room with little lighting and a place where she can be accepted as one of them. Rui cut his thumb as little as possible and blood seeped out from it. He positioned his thumb into a bowl used for Saké and changed the water into pure red liquid blood.

"Drink this." The female spider demon brought the blood-filled water to her. "Our family's power belongs to Rui."

She took the water from the female demon and gazed longingly to it.