ONE

Andie

"Hey Andie! Where'd you want the Xbox to go?"

"Those black benches by the couch. Thanks, Evan!" Andie Craven exclaimed as she heaved the last box of board games onto the top shelf.

She took a step back, her brown locks matted to the side of her beaming, freckled face. Her games café was finally set up.

She reached for her iced tea on the counter and absent-mindedly gazed as her beefy, brown-haired friend finished hooking up the console on the other side of the room.

Evan Winters had started a fintech company right after graduation that had grown into a regional conglomerate – so, naturally, she needed his help plugging in a gaming console.

Andie smiled as she gulped her drink, thanking the gods that she had stumbled into him that drunken college night.

Instead of trying to hook up with her like he did that console, he'd walked her all the way back to her dorm and left a note reminding her to hydrate. Accompanied by his number. As well as demands to hook him up with a cute boy from her class.

"Well, looks like you're finally ready for business!" Evan flashed Andie an impish grin as he walked towards her and grabbed his drink.

"Shut your snark trap." She playfully punched him, her feeble blow landing on his stiff bicep like a grape on stone. "But seriously, I couldn't have done it without your help. Thank you."

"Any time, doll." Evan leaned over the counter. "Though you'd think some people would've showed up to help."

Andie silently sipped her tea, painfully aware of who her best friend was shading. Her boyfriend of six years, Lucas Baker, had not lifted a single finger for the café.

He always promised he'd drop by "this weekend" or "tomorrow after work", but when the time came to actually pull his weight, Something Came Up.

Still, Andie couldn't really blame him. She knew going in that Lucas always chased success, and that came with necessary sacrifices. In college, he often blew Andie off for late night essay crunches and golf tournaments.

And yet, he'd always show up outside her class the next day with her favourite latte and take care of her the entire day - and take extra care of her the entire night. Andie was quickly hooked on this grade A charmer, and she just couldn't say no.

Andie sighed and stirred her drink. "He's been busy with work."

"Andie, how many times did you put off work to support his career? You gave up a promotion because he didn't want you earning more than him! And he couldn't even lift a few boxes for you?"

"You know that's not what happened," Andie retorted. "We'll need to stay below an income ceiling to enjoy a subsidised loan on our condo. And anyway, I didn't want to rely on my parents to move up the corporate ladder."

Evan groaned exasperatedly. "You know you got there on your own merit. The entire board of directors agreed to your promotion! What, were you going to stay a business consultant forever so that you can prolong your debt?"

Andie sighed. "Well, it doesn't matter anymore. I've always wanted to start up this café, so what if it's just a few years earlier? Lucas is picking up the slack with bigger projects now. His firm's closing a marketing campaign for a big client and -"

"Boo fucking hoo." Evan rolled his hazel eyes. "Ask me what I was doing this morning."

"Evan, I know -"

"Ask. Me. What I was doing this morning."

"Fine. What were you doing this morning?"

"I was thinking of taking a cock in my ass."

Andie choked on her tea, sending her into a violent coughing fit. "What? I thought you were -"

"Yeah, I was in the city signing an M&A to take over MayTech. And their founder? Let's just say I wanted to merge and acquire him." Evan gave Andie a deadpan stare as she calmed her coughing. "Instead, I hauled ass down here to help you make your dreams come true. Why?"

"Because I'm your bestest friend in the whole wide world?" Andie grinned weakly.

"Because I love you, you loser." He sipped at his tea. "Also because I am now technically his boss and that would go against company policy."

Andie sighed. "Fine, I get your point. It's just... I think we're almost there. Yesterday he said he was working on a huge surprise. I think it might be a ring."

"I don't want you to get your hopes up, doll. He always does this, and it breaks my heart when I see you all torn up."

As Evan set his drink down, the door to the café jingled open.

"Andie, babe! This is incredible!"

Speak of the blonde-haired devil. Lucas strode into the store with a big smile, his toned arms stretched out for a hug. Andie leaped up and wrapped her arms over his broad shoulders. She noticed the bottle of champagne in his left hand.

"Oh, you brought some bubbly for the party!" Andie exclaimed.

"Party?" Lucas' pale blue eyes blinked cluelessly. "No, this is for us to enjoy privately..."

His eyes snapped to Evan, and a scowl creeped onto his brow.

"Hey, man," he greeted with hostility. "I was hoping to get Andie alone."

"But Luke, we're getting ready for the opening party tonight," Andie interjected. "You... were planning to come for that, right?"

"Babe, I wouldn't miss it for the world." Lucas smirked. "But how about some private time, just you and me, for a couple hours? I made reservations somewhere special."

"I don't know... We have to be here when people come..."

"Our buddy here can manage without Andie for a few minutes, can't you, Evie boy?"

"Luke..." Andie squeezed his arm while shaking her head apologetically at Evan, who clenched his jaw in annoyance. But realising the difficult position Andie was in, his face softened.

"Go on, Andie. I'll hold the fort til you get back."

Andie barely squeaked out a thank you before Lucas pulled her away, his arm wrapped firmly around her waist. Try as she might, she just couldn't say no.

A/N: Thanks for reading! Please let me know your thoughts and feedback, it's always appreciated. Remember to drop me a vote if you like