THIRTY FOUR

Miles

Miles leaped out of bed with renewed purpose. Fine, so he still wasn't over Andie. But with work on the game back in full swing, he finally had something to distract himself with.

Maybe, by the time this was done, he'd have forgotten all about her.

He opened his room door and caught Paige exiting Liam's room, scrambling into her T-shirt.

"Oh."

"Oh my god," she exclaimed. "Miles – um – I was just –"

He flashed her a quick smile. "Please, stay for breakfast."

He walked into the kitchen and turned on the coffee machine. Paige pottered shyly after him and sat at the dining table.

"Cream or sugar?"

"Neither. I like it black."

Miles raised his brows, surprised at her preference. He set her mug on the table before returning to prepare some toast.

"You know..." Paige scanned the apartment, her hands cupping the warm drink. "I was surprised to see such a cosy place."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I was honestly expecting something really roomy and luxurious. Marble floors and velvet carpets. A bigger fridge. I mean, you guys can definitely afford it."

Miles stayed silent, patiently buttering the toast.

"Don't get me wrong, I really like the decor. It's minimal and polished." She glanced at the plush grey couch and the sleek TV, the game consoles and controllers neatly tucked away. "It's just... So different from what I imagined you guys to be."

"What did you imagine us to be?" He turned around and studied her.

"I mean, well, you know, slick, powerful fuckboys," she confessed, then chuckled sheepishly.

Miles chortled, placing their plates on the table and sitting across from Paige.

"But Liam is totally not like that. He was so sweet and really looked out for me at GamersUnite. I think I got lucky that we live in the same city."

Miles nodded, chewing absent-mindedly.

"And, I mean, I don't know you well yet, but I don't think you're as big a jerk as everyone says you are."

He swallowed and looked back at Paige curiously. "Who says that?"

"You know, your haters... And your fans. They say you're cocky and arrogant, and some of them really like that, but they all agree you seem snobbish and closed off."

"And you don't think I am?"

Paige shrugged. "I think you can be sweet if you want to. But hey, what do I know? I'm just a silly little girl."

"You're smarter than you know," Miles remarked.

"Told ya." Paige smirked, proud at having proven her point.

"Woah, is that TOAST I smell?" Liam shuffled into the kitchen, and stopped short when he saw Paige having breakfast with Miles.

"Um. Miles. I see you've... Met... Paige..." He stammered.

"The toast is still warm." Miles got up from the table and cast Liam a knowing look before heading back to his room for a day of work.