THIRTY EIGHT

Miles

Miles studied the elaborate storyboard that Paige had laid out before him. It was exactly like – no, it was even better than – what he had pictured in his mind.

"... And in the true good ending, they will each survive with a memoir from all the other characters," Paige concluded.

He smiled at her, pleased at the impressive progress she had made in just several weeks.

Now all we need are the original codes from Carly, thought Miles. Shit.

As if on cue, his phone buzzed in his pocket. He slid it out, expecting to see the devil's name splashed on his screen. Instead he saw an unknown number.

"Hello?" He answered.

"Miles?" The voice on the phone was sore and crackling, but he recognised her cadence immediately.

He jumped from the table and sped into his room, shutting the door.

"... Andie?"

"Hi," she replied. He could hear a faint smile in her voice.

"I can't stop thinking about you," he blurted out.

"Me too. So much for casual, huh?"

He chuckled. "Why did you call?"

"Can't a girl get a little loving on demand?"

"How about a little fucking?" He returned, unable to hide his desire.

"Hmm, I don't see how we can do that when we're so far apart."

"Come."

She paused. "Miles, I –"

"Tomorrow. I'll pick you up."

He knew the demand was preposterous, but he didn't give a damn. He was too impatient for her touch. He didn't care if they had to work – he just wanted to caress her and feel her warmth.

He heard her heavy breath on the line before she finally replied.

"Okay. I'll go."

╳◯

16:37. Miles glanced at his watch for the umpteenth time, the weight of the custom-made dial pressing heavy on his wrist. It was a gift from his father from a happier time. They no longer spoke, but Miles had other concerns now. More... Urgent concerns.

16:38. Her flight should have landed by now. He exhaled impatiently, picking at the lint on his army green sweater. He had scarfed down his breakfast and hurried out of the apartment, telling Liam he was "going to get something important".

16:39. A couple tugging their luggage had paused in front of Miles and begun whispering excitedly. He pulled his eyes to them and they gasped, before rolling up to him and asking for a picture. They gushed to him about his games, before asking forlornly if he was ever going back to making them.

16:44.

Miles caught her figure emerging from the gates and he froze, enamoured. She wore black yoga pants and a simple white sweater, and she had her hair tied up in a messy bun, but still she stole his breath away.

Scanning the airport, her eyes locked with his, and her face lit up with a giant beam.

"Andie," he breathed as she glided towards him and leaped into his embrace. He pressed her body against his and inhaled deeply, her floral scent enveloping his senses.

He was home.

"Hey, you," she sighed when they finally broke away. Her misty grey eyes were as stunning as ever.

"Are you hungry?" Miles asked, taking her luggage.

"Maybe," she teased and bit her lip, stirring excitement in his groin.

This woman, he groaned inwardly, and made a mental note to punish her for it later.

"My place is not far. Get in the car."