SEVEN

Andie

"So how was your first day?" Evan glanced at Andie curiously as he took a bite from his meatball sub. "Mmm, this is the shit."

They sat on a bench in a nearby park, subs and drinks sprawled carefree on their laps. Evan had wanted to check out an expensive French restaurant in town, but Andie convinced him that he would love the meatball sub around the corner – and she was right.

So there they sat, in a soldier's costume and a leather suit, in the middle of the park.

She chomped down on her sub, talking through a mouthful of lettuce. "Ugh. Too many creeps. And what's with the gatekeeping in the community? I thought games were just supposed to be fun and carefree."

"They are. You can't let the trolls get to you. Just get what you came for and leave."

"Yeah. I did and got out of dodge." Andie had abandoned all hope for the video game section, instead spending her free time in the board games hall, where the worst she had to deal with was choosing the right card sleeves. "It even took my mind off Lucas for a while. I mean, blocking and unfriending him helped, but I think I'm actually ready to move on."

They stared out into the lake, munching on their meal.

"How about the cafe?" Evan piped up. "It's only been six months. How do you feel about leaving it alone?"

"Honestly, I'm at ease about it. We've got great staff and a really scary manager who can wrangle any dudebros when they get too rowdy brawling over Smash Bros." Andie chuckled, recalling the time one of her customers almost chucked his friend over the couch, before catching the glare of the manager and sheepishly easing his Heimlich grip.

Evan returned her laughter. "I'm so proud of you for taking that step, Andie. I know it wasn't easy for you to leave your parents' company just like that."

"It wasn't that bad... At least my parents got over their disappointment eventually." she sighed. "But sometimes, I wonder if I made the right choice."

He cocked his head at her while nibbling on a chip.

She inhaled under his questioning gaze. "I really loved what I did for my parents. I was even good at it. And I knew that I eventually wanted to open a cafe, but... not in my twenties, you know? I only stepped out because I thought it was the right thing to do at the time, but then Lucas had to go and screw it all up."

Andie stared soberly at the ducks ambling on the water.

"Well, it's done, isn't it?" Evan nodded. "Maybe the future will work out in a different way than you'd expect, but right now, the cafe is literally your dream come true. Remember that grass is the greenest where we water it."

She leaned onto his shoulder, his comforting words wrapping around her sunken heart.

Her eyes fell down to Evan snacking happily on his chips. No matter how successful he became, she knew he was always at heart a meatball sub guy.

"So... why did you want to eat that fancy restaurant so badly anyway?" she quizzed him, hoping she didn't sound too nosy.

He glanced at her while picking at his meal. "You remember MayTech's founder?"

"Who again? Mr Merger and Acquisition? Mr Let Me Lay You on the Table and Spread My Ink All Over You?" Andie teased.

"Yes. Shut up." Evan shot back. "There's this insane tension. Every time we're in a room together, we can't stop eye fucking each other. And you should see the way he dresses. Fucking crisp suits and Franck Muller."

"You wear crisp suits and Franck Muller."

"Doll, mine are from three seasons ago," Evan sighed. "Bitch is fancy. I need to keep up."

Andie blinked incredulously at her friend. "Are you even joking right now? You are his boss. He needs to get on your level."

"Doesn't feel like it." He shook his head and dusted the crumbs from his lap. "Alright, I need to get back to pack. My flight leaves at eight tomorrow."

Andie nodded as she got up. Even though he only needed to fill in for a day as that hunky solider, the GamersUnite organisers had offered to let him stay. Still, his work was too important to leave for too long.

She offered him a wry smile. "Too bad this brave soldier has to go back to battling office politics."