EIGHTEEN

Miles

Why are you telling me all of this?

The question smacked Miles in the back of his head. No interview could have prepared him for such a question - hell, none of the reporters even came close. The only prying questions he'd encountered were Carly's pathetic taunts.

Not that any of them would've succeeded anyway. Miles never liked articulating his emotions. When Golden Vault and those corporate sell-outs left Mad Labs high and dry, he and Liam launched into problem-solving mode, pulling connections to keep the studio afloat.

There was simply no time to indulge in feelings, like how he felt about having their hard work swiped away by money-hungry vultures.

Mr Mason, how do you feel about having your hard work swiped away by money-hungry vultures? He wondered what would happen if an interviewer ever asked him that. He probably would've deflected.

I'd craft a weapon out of gunpowder and glue, then glitter bomb their office, or something like that.

But now, Miles Mason, the sharp-tongued straight shooter who always had a confident answer for everything, was blanking in front of this doe-eyed girl with a simple question.

Why are you telling me all of this?

Why indeed?

As he grappled with his feelings and turned to answer Andie, he spotted a guard approaching them from the exit. Shit, the guard at the entrance told him the hall was off-limits. His mind whirred to the best solution for the new problem that had now sprung on them.

"Do you trust me?" He uttered.

Andie stammered, "Um, I guess –"

With fierce urgency, Miles pressed his lips against hers, a hot rush surging through his brain. He heard her breath catch in her throat. God, her lips were so warm. He reached his left hand up to cup her cheek, and as a moan escaped her, he plunged deeper into the kiss, capturing her lips in his.

She was the first to break the kiss with a shocked, belated gasp. "Miles, what the f–"

"Excuse me, you can't be here at this hour," the guard boomed from behind Andie, who whirled around in surprise.

Miles flashed the guard a sheepish grin. "Sorry, we forgot to grab something from our booth, and things got a little... heated."

Andie's head whipped around with a glare, and Miles winked mischievously.

"Sorry, sir. We're just leaving," Andie stated in a deadpan tone and started for the exit.

"Andie, wait up!" Miles jogged after her as she hurriedly burst through the door and into the cool night. "What's the matter?"

"You tell me, Miles!" Andie burst out exasperatedly. "One minute you're piling on your sob story, and the next minute you refuse to answer my question, then you're suddenly smashing your lips against mine. It's impossible to talk to you. I don't know what you want from me!"

"Andie..." He reached for her arm, but she yanked it away and crossed her arms.

"No more games, Miles. You tell me what's going on in that smart, logical brain of yours now, or I'm walking out of here."

He sighed, gingerly prying his heart open to let a sliver slip out. "I want to know you. And to do that, I needed you to trust me. So I told you something important to me."

"Know me?" Andie repeated, then rolled her eyes. "You could've done that like a normal person, you know? Ask me about my work or my favourite kind of food. Why did you have to drop such an important secret on me like that? And... And that kiss?"

Miles shrugged. "I can take my time with those details. But if I told you something important..." He took a step closer to Andie. "Then I could convince you to tell me your secrets too."

"What makes you think I would tell you anything?"

"Because you wouldn't be able to resist." He lifted her chin and planted a soft kiss on her lips. He trailed his kisses down to her jawline, brushing his stubble against her neck. He felt her quiver under his touch, her hands grasping delightfully at his sweater.

She reached further up to his chest and gently pushed him away. He could see her eyes glazed over.

"Miles, I don't know if we should do this."

"Do what?" He ran a finger lightly down her neck, prompting a sharp inhale.

"This..." She exhaled, her lips parted slightly, tempting him to consume them again. "We'll only be here for five days. What if things get complicated?"

"They won't," he whispered.

She reached up and stopped his hand from venturing further, staring dead into his eyes. "Let's keep it casual. No strings, no drama."

It ached to think of letting her go again, but it tortured him even more to imagine not touching her at all.

So, even if it was just five days, it was worth it.

"Sure," he murmured, pecking her on the forehead. "Let's be casual."