THREE

Andie

Andie took a nervous sip of champagne. Sitting opposite her, Lucas was digging into his steak, his white shirt stretched around his biceps as he worked the knife. He'd been blabbing away about his latest project for his Big Client. The one that had kept him so busy he couldn't spare a minute to plug a switch in her cafe.

But that's okay, Andie reassured herself as her knife sank into the red of her steak. He's going to propose today and things will get better. He planned this fancy meal with a surprise and he's going to pull out the ring soon. Right? Why is he still talking? Where is the ring?!

"... didn't you, Andie?"

Andie snapped back to focus. Lucas was still cutting away at his plate, barely even looking at her. Betting on the chance that he didn't notice her internal freak-out, she nodded and muttered "mmhmm".

Lucas continued to fervently slice the meat.

Unable to bear the suspense any longer, Andie set her utensils down and blurted, "So what big surprise did you have?"

He looked at her inquisitively, then smiled and reached into the pocket of his slacks to reveal a little blue box. Her heart leaped.

"Tiffany? Luke, you didn't..."

"I had to. It's a big occasion and I've been scouting for the perfect one. I think this is it."

Andie felt her throat swell, and she was about to tear up when he suddenly opened the box, revealing a brilliantly sparkling...

"... Pair of earrings?" Her heart sank.

"Yes, aren't they nice? And they'll look absolutely gorgeous on you."

"Why... why did you get me earrings, Lucas?"

"We have a big event coming up! Andie, the firm is throwing a party to celebrate. I'm getting a promotion!"

Andie's brows furrowed. "A promotion? What about our loan? We'd have to pay the full cost of the condo!"

Lucas set the box on the table. "They're doubling my salary. I can buy the condo now. It's in my name anyway and I can afford it - do you know how much I spent on these earrings? I really thought you'd be happier about this, Andie."

She shook her head, her mind swimming with a nasty cocktail of emotions.

Mostly anger.

"Happier?" Andie lashed out. "I gave up my promotion for you. I left my job for you. I sped up my entire life for you! All I wanted was for you to show me some sign of commitment, like, oh, I don't know, a ring! But you were off charting your own course and I was left to pick up the boxes by myself!"

Lucas looked at her, annoyed. "Is this about not helping you with the cafe? Look, I told you I was busy working on this project. How do you think I got the promotion? Besides, Evan was always so eager to come to your aid. I'm sure you had lots of help there."

Andie's eyes narrowed. "I don't like what you're trying to imply, Lucas. Evan has always been there for me, which is more than I can say for you. You have no idea what we've been through."

"I think I have a pretty good idea. In fact, I know what this is all about." Lucas snapped the jewellery box shut and clenched his fist around it. "He's been spending all that time with you, coming over every waking hour of the day just to 'help you out'. Is he planning to help you with your 'grand opening' too?"

Rage boiled within Andie, frothing to the surface and spilling forth in uncontrollable words.

"Fuck you, Lucas." She whipped the napkin from her lap, grabbed her purse and rose. "It's over."

╳◯

The door jingled as Andie stalked into the cafe. A crowd of guests had already arrived for the opening party, and they cheered when Andie returned.

Feeling her scowl give way to a smile, she ran up to her friends and hugged them.

"I can't believe you guys made it!"

The group burst into lively chatter as they caught up on life. Andie's college roommate, a bespectacled girl named Em, turned to her.

"So, how are things in the love department? Are you still with that dude – what was his name?"

"Lucas. And nah, we just called it quits."

Em's eyes widened and she placed a hand on Andie's shoulder. "Oh no, what happened? Are you alright?"

Andie sighed. "Just a little shaken up, but I'll be fine. Don't worry about me - this is a happy occasion!" She squeezed her friend's hand, hoping to erase the worry from her face.

Thankfully, it worked. Leaving her friends to catch up over a round, she spotted Evan engrossed in a video game on the couch. She grabbed two beers from the bar and handed him a cold bottle.

Evan glanced up from the game and frowned at her sullen face.

"What happened, doll?"

"I don't want to talk about it," Andie groaned and sank into the couch beside her friend. "All you have to know is I broke up with that asshole."

"Oh, honey." Evan reached his arms around her shoulders and pulled her into his chest. She nuzzled closer, feeling safe and comforted in his warm arms.

"Alright, can we talk about something else?" Andie sniffed.

Evan gestured to the screen. "Well, all you have to know is that you need some hella fresh games in here. You've only been gone two hours and I'm already halfway through this game - it's old and boring! Did you fish it out of a bargain bin or something?"

Andie glanced at the game Evan had put in. It was as old as the Xbox itself. She shrugged. "I don't know. I guess I got so busy at my parents' firm that I didn't have time to play the newer games."

"Well that has to change doll. Your games aren't exactly crowd pullers right now."

"Well... what are you suggesting?"

Evan paused and drummed his fingers on the controller. "Okay. One of my clients is organising the largest gaming convention in the country in December. It's short notice, but I can get you a pass. You interested?"

"Short notice? It's still six months away."

"Andie, the passes sold out a year ahead. Literally the day they're announced, they sell out."

Andie started to weigh her options. By six months in, her cafe should be running smoothly and she could afford to be away for a few days.

"Alright. I'm game."

A/N: We are nearing collision point! Remember to leave a vote and comment if you like my story, it really helps <3