Panicking

Being left in the kitchen by Cat, I couldn't move. She knew, she knew everything. Panicking, I finished making our drinks and started upstairs trying hard not to use super speed. I think I managed pretty well... or not.

Not thinking, I rushed into the room to find Lena only just pulling a top over her head. I didn't even put the drinks down before I started rambling about Cat, spilling some of one mug over my arm in the process.

"Kara! Your arm, put the drinks down." Seeing me spill hot chocolate over me spurred Lena into action from standing with her back to me with her top half pulled down. If I hadn't been panicking I knew seeing Lena in any state of undress would have stopped me dead.

With her top on she moved to me and took the mugs from me, hissing in pain from the hot liquid practically covering them both. "What are you doing? We were going to drink those." Frowning at her, Lena got the mugs on the dresser before facing me looking like I had just told her the sky was green.

"Kara, darling. We can't drink what you spill over yourself and the floor." Her eyes looked around the room, mine following and understanding what she meant when I saw a line of brown liquid on the floor leading to me.

"Oh." Dropping my head I bit my lip wanting to disappear after that little meltdown.

"Now, would you like to tell me what has you throwing hot chocolate over yourself and our room?" Refusing to lift my head I could just see Lena from under my lashes, arms crossed and a slight frown creasing her eyebrows.

Licking my lips I looked down at myself and noticed the amount of liquid I had managed to spill on myself - it was a lot - and went to the wardrobe to grab a t-shirt and shorts. "I uh-I saw Cat in the kitchen and she mayormaynothavesortofsaidsheknowsI'mlying." The silence let me hope Lena hadn't caught any of that but I wasn't in such luck.

Lena turned me around, "Kara, listen to my heartbeat. You need to calm down." Trying to do as she said, I tuned my hearing into her heartbeat, letting the steady drum slow my breathing.

Once I was a little calmer, Lena tried again to get me to talk. "Good. Now try again without the rambling." Lena's hands were rubbing up and down my arms slowly, calming me down even more.

"Cat may or may not have said she knows I'm lying." No reaction. "Why aren't you freaking out right now?"

Lena smiled, laughing a little. "Darling, I hate to break it to you, but you are lying to Cat about several things right now. We have no idea what she knows, meaning there is nothing we can do until she lets slip what she thinks your lying about."

"But-" I started.

Lena raised an eyebrow, stopping me. "No buts. We can't do anything and you can't do anything to expose yourself to Cat by assuming the worst. Get ready for bed and I will clean this mess up."

I was pushed towards the bathroom and barely moved. "You realise that doesn't actually have an effect, right?" Laughing I sped into the bathroom before Lena could find something to throw at me.

By the time I finished changing, Lena had managed to get rid of most of the hot chocolate on the floor, which was impressive given I wasn't gone that long. "You took a while."

Bending down to help with the last few areas, I pushed my glasses up. "Yeah, I was trying to see if I could salvage my dress, but no luck."

Lena half smiled up at me through her lashes. "I'm sure the hotel will have an idea on how to get the stain out."

"Hopefully. I really liked that dress." Finished with the floor, we put the clothes we used in the wash basket in the bathroom for tomorrow. Now we were both standing just looking at the bed, like neither of us knew what to do now.

Come on Kara! You have slept in the same bed before. I kept telling myself that, but something still stopped us from moving. Lena's heartbeat was steady, but the longer we stood there the more jumps I kept hearing.

"Okay this is ridiculous." Lena's soft outburst shouldn't have startled me but it did. "We have shared a bed before and this is no different." Turning her head to face me, Lena proved her point by walking to the left side of the bed and pulling back the covers, leaving me to take the right side.

Nodding, I followed her lead, moving over to the right side of the bed, deciding to check my phone before pulling back the covers. Having not checked the thing all day, I found several texts from Alex and a missed call.

Alex:
Have a safe trip :)

Alex:
How is your morning going?

Alex:
Just to let you know we have everything handled here.

"What's wrong?" I turned to find Lena hugging her pillow facing me sat on the edge of the bed.

I held up my phone. "I haven't checked my phone all day and missed some texts from Alex and a call."

Lena shifted so she was leaning her head on her hand. "That's a good thing though, right?"

I put my phone down without replying and lay down. "Yeah, I just can't think of a time in the last three years that I haven't checked my phone in case there was a problem."

"Call her. Check everything is okay."

I looked across at Lena's face looking down at me. "It's late."

Lena reached over me and grabbed my phone, the position reminding me of that afternoon. "And you won't sleep until you have talked to Alex. So call her before I do it for you." Turning my attention back onto the conversation, I grabbed my phone while trying not to think about the feeling of Lena's lips on mine.

Pressing Alex's contact, I glanced at Lena as she went back to hugging her pillow, only now facing away from me. She didn't even look like having her body so close to mine effected her, like it was completely normal for the two of us.

"Hey, it's late. What's up?" I could hear the smile in Alex's voice when she answered.

"Nothing, I just realised I missed your texts and call so thought I would check in." I hoped she didn't think anything was wrong, there wasn't, but it didn't mean Alex needed to think there was.

"It's fine Kara. I shouldn't have text anyway to be honest, I want you to enjoy your week away and I'm realising that the last message got you worried if you've had to call me. The city is fine and I am tired so go snuggle your girlfriend." Laughing Alex didn't even manage to get the word 'Bye' out properly, instead cutting the call off before I could respond.

"Everything okay?" Lena mumbled, her Irish accent a little stronger making her sound as far from the cold CEO of L-Corp than I have ever heard.

Putting my phone on charge I left it on the bedside table and took my glasses off. "Yeah." I turned the light off and got under the covers. "Night Lee."

I almost thought she was asleep already when no reply came, but a minute later I heard it. "Goodnight Kara."