"I could just throw you in."

Standing from the sun bed I got out of my shorts and top so I was left in my swim suit and lay down with my book above me. I was reading when I heard the door go again and did my best not to look over at Lena as she took off her shorts and top to reveal the white bikini underneath. I wasn't successful.

Trying to tear my eyes away from her body, I realised I had never seen so much of Lena before and I couldn't look away. She was beautiful, perfect. I looked back at my book quickly as she laughed, her attention never leaving her book. What is she laughing at?

"One of the characters is pretty funny." Lena glanced over at me.

"What?" What was she talking about? Unless... "Oh, yeah. It must be a funny book." I can't believe I said that out loud!

Lena glanced up from her book, I could feel her eyes looking at me but I refused to look away from my book. "Are you bored?"

I looked up. "No, why?" I should not have looked up. Lena put her book down and sat up to talk to me.

"Because we have been out here for five minutes and you haven't turned a single page of your book." Lena tried to get me to look at her, but I turned back to my book. Contemplating my answer, I didn't get far before my book was pinched from my grasp. "Talk to me?"

"I am talking to you." Frowning, I tried to reach for my book, but Lena moved it further away. "Are you going to give that back to me or not?" I huffed, I didn't want to soun annoyed but why couldn't she just leave me alone before I do something stupid.

Lena put a bookmark on the page and closed it. "Nope. Not until you talk to me."

Think! "I'm just worried about National City. I haven't really had many days off for the last few year and It's hard to just switch my brain off in case Alex is in trouble." I wasn't lying, but I wasn't telling her the truth, which was I didn't think this whole swimming plan through since she looked beautiful in her bikini. The latter being something I am never telling her, even if this week we were technically dating.

Frowning, Lena reached her hand out for me which I took after a moments hesitation. "I am the worst person for turning off their brain when it comes to work, so I understand. As for Alex, I would be more worried about the people that run into her this week, not the other way around. If there was a reason to call you back to National City we would know and be back as fast as you can fly." She gave me a smile that I couldn't help return. "So relax, enjoy your week off and have fun."

I laughed as she emetized my need to relax and she was right, worrying about National City wasn't going to change anything. As for the other thoughts in my head I pushed them to the back of my mind and looked at my book now abandoned on her lounger. It was a boring book anyway. I dropped Lena's hand and reached to take my glasses off.

"What are you doing? Cat's here." Lena turned to glance inside a second, turning back to me as I took my glasses off and put them on the lounger next to me.

"I am going for a swim and swimming in glasses is not something I want to do. As for Cat seeing me, she wasn't happy when she got back so I don't think we're going to be seeing her until later." I got up and looked down at Lena. "Care to join me?"

She shook her head. "Nope. I don't want to go swimming."

I pursed my lips. "Are you sure?"

"Yep. I just put cream on and if I go swimming I'm going to have to put it on again, so no." Lena picked up the books on her lounger and dropped mine on the table next to her.

I blinked at the excuse she just gave, the flimsy and lame excuse. "Really? That's the reason you've come up with?"

Without looking up, Lena nodded. "I'm pale and we are in Hawaii. I refuse to burn on this trip."

I pouted. "Please? Swimming by yourself isn't as fun." I could see her trying to avoid looking at me, the pout always worked.

After a minute, I could see her caving. "Fine, but you have to let me finish my chapter."

I tilted my head. "How many pages do you have left?"

"Nine..."

"Okay." I smiled and was about to sit down when she spoke again.

"...teen." Lena smiled at me from above her book, apparently finding the whole situation funny.

"Nineteen pages? Are you kidding me? Can't you just put a bookmark in and pick it up later?"

She shook her head. "Nope. I put my bookmark in your book to stop the spine from breaking."

I gaped at her. "That's it." Grabbing my book, I took the bookmark out and put my glasses in its place to keep the page, plucking Lena's book from her hands like she did me.

"Hey! It was just getting interesting." The adorable frown on her face was quickly becoming a pout that almost had the same power as mine. Do NOT give in! I told myself as I placed her bookmark and left the book next to mine.

"I'm sure it was, but you said the only reason you couldn't was because I had your bookmark. That is now not a problem, so will you plllllllleeeeeaaassssssseeeee come swimming with me?" 

Lena pondered her choices, "What do I get out of going swimming now? You've interrupted my reading and are causing me more work with reapplying cream so quickly, so what do I get out of it?" Something in her eyes had changed, a glint that wasn't there before.

"You get to have fun with your best friend." Smiling, I held out a hand to help her up.

Looking at my outstretched hand, Lena smiled. "While that sounds fun, I don't want to get my hair wet."

Laughing, I left my hand between us for her to take. "I could just throw you in, you know that right." I had her, I knew I did but when the smile stayed I stopped laughing.

Almost smug, Lena looked in my eyes, the green in them brighter in the sunlight. "If you were going to throw me in you'd have done it already and you would be sleeping in another room tonight." She won.

Losing my smile completely, I dropped my hand and did the second best thing I could. "You're right, that would be bad." Turning, I took a run-up to the pool and cannon balled in, making sure to make the biggest splash possible.

The cool water was refreshing and with my hearing I heard the gasp from above as I let myself stay submerged for a moment. When I broke the surface I was met with Lena standing at the edge of the pool with the lower parts of her legs wet.

"Is something wrong?" I innocently smiled at her as I kept myself afloat in the water.

"You did that on purpose." She wasn't happy, but I could see her trying not to let a spark in her eyes show.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I swam to the edge of the pool by her feet and looked up.

"You could have got my book wet." I looked behind her to the chairs, her book was still on the table.

"I'm sorry." Setting my hands on the edge of the pool, I got myself ready to jump up.

Lena smiled at me, it didn't last long as she caught on that something wasn't right. "Why do I get the feeling you aren't sorry about the book?"

I smiled. "Because I'm not." As I finished speaking, I jumped up at her and grabbed hold of her, pulling her with me into the pool. Spluttering, Lena emerged a moment after me glaring. "Now I'm sorry." Laughing, I started to swim around and enjoy the cool water against the hot day.

Thankfully, Lena's glaring only lasted a few more moments before joining me in laughing. "Okay, I'm going to forget you just pulled me in here because it's actually really nice but I promise I am going to get you back." Not satisfied that I heard her, Lena splashed water in my direction as I swam around her on my back, basking in the sun.

Water hit my face and I stopped swimming to look at Lena, who had made no attempt to get out of the pool. "You just started a war." Splashing her with water, Lena quickly returned fire and in a second we were both reduced to five-year-olds having a splashing war.