Kill me

Was he being serious?  Did he really want me to choose between Lena and the city? There was no choice.

"Kill me." The words were out before my brain registered them. "Let everyone else live."

Lex's lips tilted up in smirk, chills running down my spine at the sight. "I'm sorry, you misunderstood me. You die either way, your choice is how many die with you."

I closed my eyes as a sharp pain in my back had the world spinning, the hesitation sparking more whispers from the crowd, some reaching my ears.

"She can't be hesitating."

"She won't save a Luthor."

"Is she really considering saving a Luthor after everything they've done?"

Everyone had their own opinion, none of them too kind to Lena. I wanted to yell at everyone to stop, to just stop, but I couldn't. A war raged between my head and my heart, one knowing the city was the logical option; the other refused to think of a life without Lena in it.

"It's okay, let me go, save the city. I'm not worth it." Lena's voice floated to me, a whisper she knew I'd hear, shattering my heart and spilling tears from my eyes at the resignation she was going to die. "My lab has an untested kryptonite suit, if you're quick you can make it in time. Just don't die with me."

I couldn't look at her, she sounded so resolute in her decision, even her heartbeat was steady. How was it she could be so ready to die to save the city she now called home when I refused to think of it? No.

Taking a deep breath, I kept my eyes closed as I focused my hearing on a heartbeat I knew would be jumping. He couldn't wait for me to choose, to see how I could possibly get out of this unscathed or watch as I fell to a painful death.

My senses fell away, the only thing remaining was that heartbeat as I did the one thing I could think of to stop this. "No." A movement of my lips, nothing to anyone, except a madman watching me closely. Before he could realise what was happening, I lifted my head and opened my eyes, heat vision aimed directly for him.

Quick and draining, I stayed on my feet and using the last of my superspeed caught Lex's hand holding the detonator before he could let go, stopping him from setting either bombs off. Holding his hand in a vice grip I let the world come back to me, Lex's anguished cries the first, a burn mark in his right shoulder.

"Supergirl we have backup coming to help contain the situation and another team scanning for kryptonite signatures within the city. Hold on." Alex's voice was a welcome one, although I didn't respond and instead concentrated on stopping Lex from releasing the detonator, the world spinning once again.

In less than a minute someone was standing next to me, sticking a needle into Lex and sedating him, the hand in mine relaxing as someone's hands covered mine. "Slide your hands out from under mine and I will hold it down." I didn't know who it was but I did as the agent said, her hands keeping the detonator armed in Lex's hand.

I had barely stood up when I was rocked by a coughing fit, my lungs feeling like they were dying. Taking my hand away from my mouth, I only just made out the red spots of blood as the world span and moved in and out of focus. A grip on my arm had me turning to see Alex wrapping my arm around her shoulders, practically carrying me to the van she somehow managed to get past the crowd.

"H-How did-" She shushed me.

"Don't talk." She was mad - worried but mad - a disapproving tone in her voice as she helped me into the van. Alex looked to the front of the van. "Get us back to the DEO and tell them to have the med bay ready."