Kara doesn't love me

Kara

Lying in my bed at the DEO, I had the sun lamps on again and I still felt as weak as I had when I woke an two hours ago. I should have started feeling at least slightly better by now and nothing. Fighting Kryptonian's was the worst, the bruises took longer to heal but this was ridiculous since I had been unconscious for almost two days.

I had made Alex get me a mirror earlier and I was still covered in bruises, sure they were healing but they should have cleared by now. Reign is the closest I've come to dying and my mind couldn't move from Lena and why she left. There had to be a reason, she wouldn't just leave. This week had given her plenty of opportunities and she stayed, breakfast with Morgan Edge immediately replaying in my mind.

Voices in the corridor outside broke my thoughts, the voices not clear enough to understand but the ugency was there. Something was wrong and if I knew my sister she was going to try and keep me out of it. Throwing the thin cover off me, I swung my legs off the bed, holding back a groan at the motion.

Despite my physical appearance starting to get better, every muscle and bone still hurt like Reign had just punched me. It was going to take longer than two days for me to feel like flying again, that was for sure. Walking wasn't too bad... okay it was terrible but I refused to let myself be stuck alone in that room with the yelling.

Getting to my door and opening it took more effort than I want to admit, but the chaos I met on the other side told me I was right to find out what was going on. I think I heard the name Lex Luthor from someone but I wasn't sure until I rounded the corner to the main floor.

In the chaos no one had noticed me leaning heavily against the walls as I made my way to my sister, Winn and J'onn at the consol each of them looking at the monitors. All of which were frozen on the news showing an image of Lex and Lena Luthor standing in front of my statue at the harbour. They didn't look to be doing anything too illigal in the image, but Lex showing up was worrying enough.

"I think the message is clear 'Supergirl come and see me.'" J'onn said, frowning at the monitors.

Alex shook her head. "That is not happening."

"Perhaps I could go in her place?" I stepped closer, jumping in before anyone else could speak, surprising them all.

"No." Spinning to see me behind them, Alex rushed to help me to sit in a chair near the consol.

"What are you doing out of bed?" Scolding me Alex seemed to be voicing the thoughts of the trio, all of whom were frowning at me.

I shifted in the chair. "Finding out what the yelling is about."

Alex shook her head. "It's nothing we can't handle."

"You can't stop me from helping." We all knew she was wrong, but who would I be if I didn't hope my confidence helped.

"You can barely walk without help, you're too weak to use your powers and I refuse to risk your life to save hers." She was being ridiculous, it wasn't just Lena's life at risk here.

I gave her a look, throwing one at Winn and J'onn too. "This is Lex Luthor we are talking about, there are many more lives than just Lena's in danger."

The clench of her jaw told me she was about to argue, but a change on the monitors stopped her as they showed a live feed of Lex and Lena.

"Supergirl you have twenty minutes to arrive before I start killing your beloved residents of National City with bombs already in the city." He waved his hand. "I already have one on a deadman's switch but because I'm nice I'll let you in on a secret... this one will kill only one person and I know you don't want to see my dear sister dead." The feed paused again as Winn stopped it, Lex showing the switch in his hand for all of National City to see.

Alex looked to the agents around us. "Assault teams ready to move on the harbour. Lex Luthor is to be taken alive." People started running around to get ready to leave, including Alex when I grabbed her wrist to stop her, standing up at the same time.

"You aren't leaving without me."

She rolled her eyes. "We don't have time for this Kara-"

I clenched my jaw. "Exactly. So let's skip the argument and get to the part where I come with you since I'm not letting you leave otherwise."

Lena

Standing at the base of the statue, Supergirl towering over us I looked at the cold, calculated and yet somehow crazy look in his eyes. He was so far from the brother than welcomed me into the Luthor family that I couldn't recognise him anymore.

"She's not coming." I whispered, no need to let the cameras that had appeared catch our conversation.

He rolled his eyes. "What makes you believe that?" Why did he completely believe that she would show? That she would care enough to save me or that she was even awake to do so?

I put a wall back up, refusing to let him see just how much these facts hurt. "She hates me. I left her and she hates me." That got her attention, his gaze meeting mine. "You've said it yourself a hundred times, 'I'm nothing' and to her I'm nothing. This city wouldn't care if you killed me right now, so whatever this plan of yours is, it isn't going to work." I wanted so hard to be right, that this plan wouldn't work but without Supergirl at least some would die, me included.

Lex barked a laugh, surprising not only me but several onlookers. "You are nothing... to me. To her, you're kryptonite. She won't be able to stay away."

"Your confidence is what will get you killed. What makes you so sure she will come?" My voice dropped even lower, a whisper like we were children keeping a secret.

The late afternoon sun gave him an orange glow, that glint in his eyes that much brighter as he leaned in, his words rocking me to my core. "Because she loves you."

I couldn't stop myself from laughing. "Oh God! You really are delusional. Kara doesn't love me."

Lex went unnaturally still, his eyes focused on mine, searching. "Lena I know you are a fool, but please don't tell me you are as oblivious as that alien you call a friend?" The venom in his voice at the word alien had me biting my tongue, if he didn't literally have my life in my hand he'd see how much of a Luthor I could be when I wanted. No one talked about Kara like that.

"Hero got your tongue?" I refused to respond. "I wonder how long you have left to live... only two more minutes." He gave me a frown. "Looks like you might have been rig-"

"I thought my cousin dropped you in a cell, what are you doing here?" Supergirl's voice rang out over the harbour, my face paling at the sound.

Kara

Walking through the gathered crowd had everyone looking at me once they realised who I was and it wasn't a feeling I wanted to experience again. One simple action and everyone seemed to understand there was something wrong, Supergirl wasn't flying. I could see it on their lips as they whispered between them, my hearing focused solely on Lena with what little concentration I had.

Clearing everyone the whispers stopped, the city holding their breath for the outcome of this fight after my loss earlier this week. "I thought my cousin dropped you in a cell, what are you doing here?" My voice was loud but it took more than I wanted for it not to waver as the pain in my muscles persisted.

Lex turned to look at me, Lena's emerald eyes shining with unshed tears. "Running late for a change Supergirl?"

I clenched my jaw. "What do you want Lex?"

"I want this city to see that you are no hero." I frowned, I would have thought he'd want me dead. "You see Supergirl I have in my hand a detonator that if released will detonate the bomb attached to her back, killing her; and if disarmed will detonate the several bombs I placed throughout the city earlier today, killing countless innocent people. You choose."