Stopping the Change

After a few more days the new building was built and the entire task force relocated to the building. Misa enjoyed her own floor and Mogi would watch her from time to time. Security was very tight in the building and Watari would be watching the cameras to the security system. Today Lawliet and Light had a date with Misa on her floor. Misa invited me to go on the date as well, hoping it wouldn't be so awkward. It turns out it was still awkward. I was just sitting beside Misa while Light sat beside Lawliet on the other couch in front of us. Lawliet of course was eating most of the cake.

" Man this has gotta be the lamest date I've ever been on. "

" No, no, no, please. Just pretend I'm not even here, okay? "

" Well, I invited Y/n hoping that this could be a double date but it's just lame. I wanted sparks to fly between you and Y/n while I'm with Light. "

" Who says sparks can't fly? "

' Lawliet why did you say that? '

I felt my cheeks slightly flare up and it became quiet once more.

" By the way, are you gonna eat that piece of cake? "

I looked down and saw that Lawliet had already finished his slice of cake.

" Cake makes you fat. I'm not gonna eat any. "

" Actually, I've found that you don't gain any weight as long as you burn calories by using your brain. "

" Hm! So now you're calling me stupid? Fine then. I'll give you the piece of cake as long as you agree to leave me and Light alone."

I turned my attention away from the two and looked at Light. I knew this was the scene where they would fight. Light just sat on the couch and leaned on the arm of it.

" Okay, then I'll just close the curtains and turn off the lights. " Misa said grinning at Lawliet.

" We have infrared cameras in here as well. "

Misa started freaking out more. I felt my heart race pick up when the fight between them didn't start. I stood up from my seat and made my way over to Light on the couch. I crouched beside the arm of the couch and he looked at me.

" Is there something you need Y/n? "

" Light I just noticed you didn't particularly look happy. Which I can understand seeing as the situation you are in but I feel like it's something else that's making you upset. "

" You're right. I'm upset at Ryuzaki because we moved to this building for a purpose and it just looks like he has given up. "

" I see. Why don't you voice your concerns to Ryuzaki? "

" What? Why? "

" Well, you might as well. I mean what better time to do it than now. You might find an answer to your question of why Ryuzaki isn't acting motivated. "

I walked back to my seat and sat down. Misa turned to me and held my arm.

" Y/n what were you and my Light talking about? "

" Nothing that concerns you. Trust me. "

" What's wrong with you? I thought moving here was supposed to catch Kira but since we've been here you don't seem all that motivated." Light questioned Lawliet.

   " Not motivated? You're right. Actually I'm depressed. "

   " Depressed? What for? "

   " Well, truthfully, all this time I thought that you were Kira and my entire case hinged on that fact. I guess I just can't get past the fact that my deduction was wrong. Although having said that, I'm still suspicious of you. That's why we are wearing these."