Finding the Detective

We organized the funeral and buried the criminals. The plan seemed to be working perfectly. Everyone spent two days away from the task force building to grief. I stayed in the task force building. The first day I used the excuse that I wanted to grief and reminisce in the memories I had so Light wouldn't come and observe what I was really doing. What I was really doing was looking at all of the hotels that were around the city.

   ' I told Lawliet to go far so I can eliminate the surrounding areas. '

I put an 'X' on the hotels that were near the building and then started looking at prices.

   ' I gave him 21,547.30 yen for a room and for room service. No doubt he'll be using that instead of any of his money just in case. '

I eliminated the hotels that were expensive and those that were too low in price. Then, through the skills Watari taught me, I hacked into the records of all of the hotels. I started searching for Tokuoda Sakiko or Hasegawa Ko.

   ' I'm lucky that I went to a hotel that didn't need to know my name. '

I searched through all of the hotel's records until I found a name.

   ' Tokuda Ko. They checked in two days ago. Good job Lawliet, combining the names. Looks like I found the place. The hotel is a long distance from here. How did he make it there on foot? '

I wrote down the name and the hotel. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and called a taxi. I closed all the programs on the computer and made sure to delete my history. I also deleted the camera footage and replaced it with a video of me walking around the task force building. I headed out of the building and saw the taxi waiting for me in front of the building. I got in and told the driver what hotel tp drive to. I settled myself into the leather seat and leaned against the window. My phone started ringing in my pocket and I saw that it was Misa's contact.

   " Hello? "

   " Y/n! "

   " Hi, Misa. "

   " I want to have a girl's day with you today! I thought maybe it would cheer you up. You've been so sad and depressed ever since Ryuzaki and Watari died a few days ago. "

   ' Looks like my acting skills are not all that bad. '

   " I just want to see you happy again. You are my best friend and I want to cheer you up. "

   ' Maybe Misa is not that bad. '

   " Well, I don't really feel up to it today Misa. maybe we could do it tomorrow? "

   " Sure! I can move all my stuff tomorrow to today and I'll have a free day to hangout. "

   " Thanks, Misa for worrying. "

   " You are the second closest person to me. Light being the first obviously, but I just want to make you happy. "

   " The same goes for you Misa. "

I noticed the taxi stop in front of a tall hotel building.

   " Misa, I'm going to hang up now. "

   " Alright. I'll see you tomorrow!"

   " Definitely. "

I hung up the phone and set it back in my pocket. I paid the taxi driver and stepped out of the taxi. The hotel was really tall and it looked about as nice as the hotel I was staying in. I walked inside and towards the front desk. The woman that stood behind the desk was young-looking and her black hair was in a tight bun. She noticed me as I approached the desk.

   " Hi, what can I do for you? "

   " I'm looking for a friend of mine. He has a room here. "

   " What's the name? "

   " Tokuda Ko. "

   " He's on the twelfth floor in room 49. "

   " Thank you. "

I walked away from the desk and towards the elevator. I pressed the button for the twelfth floor and felt the elevator start to shift upwards. I looked out of the glass walls at the city as I went upward. When I reached the floor I got off giving the beautiful city one last look before the doors shut. I walked to room 49 and knocked on the door.

   " It's unlocked, please come in. "

I opened the door and stepped inside. I closed the door behind me and saw Lawliet standing in the living room. Watari was nowhere to be seen but I could see Lawliet standing in his slumped posture with his thumb in his mouth. I smiled at seeing him. I ran up to him and wrapped my arms around him. He didn't shift, he didn't move. Then I felt his arms encircle me and loosely hang on my waist.

   " I'm happy to see you too but I'm still not able to understand the situation. Was I going to be killed? "

   " You just said you were confused about the situation but then you ask if you were going to be killed. You just answered yourself. "

   " So, I was. "

I felt his arms become tighter around me and he rested his chin on the top of my head.

   " You can explain what was supposed to happen when Watari gets back and why you changed the story. "

   " When will he be back? "

   " In a few moments. "

   " I thought I told you to not leave the room. "

   " I told you to hang on to your gun when facing Higuchi but you gave it to Mogi. "

   " Fair. Where is he? "

   " He needed to get some ice and pick up our dinner. "

He continued to hold me as he walked back towards the couch. He sat down in his crouched position but he was holding me in his lap.

   ' This man has too much leg strength.  '