A Switch

I opened my eyes and looked around the room. I noticed I wasn't in my bedroom. I sat up on the bed and got a clearer look at the room. There was a body lying beside me in the bed and I saw it was Light. I saw that his eyes were closed and he seemed to be asleep. Gently I lifted the blankets off of my body and slipped out of the bed. I put the sheets back and walked out of the room.

   ' I hated that. '

I grabbed my shoes and unlocked the door letting myself out of the apartment. I started walking to my apartment with Lawliet. When I entered the apartment I was pulled into a bone-crushing hug. I looked up and saw Lawliet holding me tightly to his chest and his hair was covering his eyes. Nothing was said and he continued to hold me.

   " Lawliet...are you okay? "

   " I was worried. "

   " Worried? "

   " You didn't come home last night. "

   " Oh, yeah...Don't remind me please. "

He let go but his hands went to my shoulders and grabbed them.

   " Where did you go? "

   " Light's apartment. "

   " Why? "

   " I just returned to the Task Force after everyone thought I was dead. Before I went to New York Light wanted to be romantically involved with me. I agreed so I could keep better track of him. Now, when I got back he was excited to see me so we went to his apartment to talk and he made me stay there for the night. I left this morning before he could get up. "

   " What did he do that made you stay? "

I still couldn't see his eyes but I could feel the anger present in his tone. I didn't want to say the wrong thing and make him mad. I knew stuttering would only make him suspicious of what I said and think I'm not telling the truth. 

   " He had a pen in his hand. He carries around a piece of the Death Note in his watch. I noticed how he had a pen in his hand and his watch was still on his wrist. So, I thought it was best I stay. "

He lifted his head and I saw his eyes. I watched as the anger slowly faded from his eyes. They were blank once more. He hugged me and whispered in my ear.

   " Please inform me next time when you are in a dangerous situation. "

I nodded and walked further into the apartment. I saw chocolate on the table and remembered the mafia leader, Mello. 

   ' His death along with Matt's is coming. I don't think I can save them. I've already saved Lawliet. I can't save someone important this time. If I don't let them die then the story will change. Because Matt dies in front of a TV broadcast with people around. Mello dies while kidnapping Takada. There's no way I can save them. '

I sat down beside Lawliet and watched as he folded towels. I looked up and saw Watari sipping tea from a teacup. I looked between the two before finally speaking.

   " Did you two switch roles for the day? "

   " Yes, Watari and I played a game of checkers. We agreed that if I lost I would do his daily chores with the exception of leaving the apartment. If I won he would make me a day's worth of sweets in 2 hours. "

   " You lost? "

   " I did. I miscalculated a move and Watari trapped my queen. He was able to checkmate my king and I lost. "

   " Good job Watari. " I said giving him a thumbs up. 

   " Thank you. I'm glad I can relieve myself of the day's chores. My abilities could not stretch to baking sweets in a small time limit. "

   " Good. I'm glad you won. "

   " Would you like some tea? "

   " Sure. "

   " Mr. Ryuzaki can you please pour the lady a cup of tea? "

Lawliet nodded and took the teapot and started filling a teacup with tea. I took a sip of the tea and it didn't taste like Watari's usual tea. 

   " Lawliet did you make this tea? "

   " I did. "

   " Hmm, it's not as great as Watari's. "

   " Well, I'm not Watari. "

   " I know, I just get to tease you for once instead of you teasing me. "

   " Oh really? "

I watched as he leaned towards me. His face was alarmingly close to mine.

   " Because I can-"

   " Mr. Ryuzaki please continue folding the towels and not proceed with your romance while working. "

Lawliet turned towards Watari and just gave him a look that said 'really?' He turned back to his work while I laughed a little at his predicament. I placed a small kiss on his head and decided to play a game of chess with Watari.