Wake Up

* Beep.......Beep.......Beep.......Beep=*

I heard it. I heard a heart monitor and the person it was connected to was living and breathing. I wanted to open my eyes but it was hard. When I finally did open my eyes light flooded my vision and when it cleared I saw that I was in a hospital room. The bright light was from the sun outside the open window in my room. I was laid on the hospital bed with the monitor connected to my wrist through a wire. I looked around and didn't see anyone in the room. I only saw one person in the room and it was Melena.

   " Melena? "

   " Y/n! "

She stood up from her seat and ran to my bedside. She helped me sit up on the bed and I couldn't find a clock or any indication of the time and date.

   " Melena, why am I in a hospital room? "

   " Well, that's a long story. "

   " I have plenty of time. "

   " It seems that someone broke into the apartment. The landlord dropped our spare key that she has and he found it. He broke into the apartment and put a syringe in you. The doctor said that the effects of what was in the syringe were what made you pass out. They said it would have felt like you were going through a nasty migraine. Is that how you felt? "

   " Yeah. "

   ' But I remember getting a text message asking if I liked apples. '

   " Where's my phone? "

   " Right here. "

I unlocked my phone and searched through my messages but I didn't see any messages from a random number asking about apples. There was nothing. 

   ' It was as if it didn't exist. '

I set my phone down and looked at Melena. 

   " What did he exactly do when I was knocked out? "

   " He kidnapped you. "

   " Then? "

   " He kidnapped you and took you to Japan. He had done this before with other people. You just happened to be the next person he picked. This killer would take them to Japan and then kill them. There he would dump the body for someone to find and return here to our town. No one was able to catch him until now. He took you to Japan and brought you to the same rundown warehouse he brought the other bodies. He had lived there for years carrying out his deeds. "

   " How do you know all of this information? "

   " He admitted to it. All of it. Back to the story, he brought you there but you were still unconscious. He said you were very pretty while you were sleeping so he gave you shots every so often so you wouldn't wake up. He had also said that you were better than other girls and he wanted to keep you. He didn't plan on killing you but the police were getting closer to finding him. Because they were getting closer he got more anxious and shot you a few times. "

   'On my side and then my shoulder. '

   " The first time was on your waist. Apparently, they found evidence of who it was and started searching for him everywhere in the world. He fixed you up after he shot you but then the police were at the door to the warehouse and he was too anxious that he shot you in the shoulder. The police heard him and charged into the building. They cuffed him and took him away and they brought you to a hospital in Japan and called me. I've been here ever since you came back. "

Melena jumped on me and hugged me but she was careful. I hugged her back and laid back on the bed. I could feel the bandages around my waist and shoulder. The spots I was shot at stung.

   ' Could it have all been the drugs he was injecting me? A lucid dream? Did I not travel into the Death Note universe and I was just kidnapped and drugged? Is that really what happened? '

I looked out of the window at the city of Japan and sighed seeing how different the buildings were from inside of Death Note. Melena ran to the doctor to find him and to the cafeteria to get me food.

   ' Good thing we both know Japanese. Thank you Mr. Robert's for teaching me Japanese in high school. '

The doctor entered the room and asked me a couple of questions and I only told him what I remembered. Except I kept the detail about the Death Note journey out of the story.

   " Do you have any questions? "

   " Yes, Doctor Lee I was wondering if there was a possibility that I could have gone into a Lucid dream while I was under the drugs. Since I never woke up. I had this long dream that I was in Japan and helping out some people. "

   " It's highly possible that is exactly what happened. Your brain produced a dream from NREM sleep. Meaning it's a deep sleep that can produce lucid dreams to distract the dreamer from a stressful situation or to let you go to another place in your mind where it's calming. Your brain registered that you were being kidnapped and placed under an NREM sleep. You see we have REM and NREM. REM sleep is Rapid Eye Movement sleep. You have dreams in this stage but they are light just like you're sleeping. You were in NREM sleep where dreams are possible but they are just more realistic. Your dreams took place in Japan because the kidnapper most likely mentioned where he was going. He was crazy enough to talk to himself so your brain picked up some words he was saying and created the world where you would find solitude. "

   " Thank you, doctor. "

   " I'll leave you to rest and catch up with your friend when she gets back. "

He bowed to me and left the room. I leaned against the soft bed and laid my head on the pillows. My gaze found its way to the outside world beyond the window. 

   ' It was all a dream. It didn't actually happen. I was actually kidnapped and placed into a deep sleep. Then my brain conjured up a place in my mind for me to go to be safe. Because the kidnapper mentioned Japan my brain brought me to the show of Death Note. Now that I'm thinking about it I was watching Death Note before I was kidnapped. I was on the episode where the Task Force had just added Light to the team. That's when I entered their world. Except it was a dream. '

A tear streamed down my face as I was leaning on the pillow.

   ' It wasn't real. '

   " It was all just a dream. " I said to myself

I still looked out the window at the setting sun. The colors were beautiful and they were shining into my room. To anyone this would look like a perfect movie scene where it's the end of the movie and the main character was gazing out the window and then the screen fades to black. Except this isn't a movie or a show. This is real life. I wouldn't be able to have the happy ending I wanted and I would be stuck with memories of people I loved. People that I won't see ever again. My screen won't fade to black because this isn't a game or show. This is reality.

   " Goodbye L Lawliet. " I whispered once more letting more tears fall from my face.