The Game of Chess

" You're quiet, Near. What's wrong? Are you still waiting for something? "

   " Waiting. That's an excellent choice of words. Yes, I am waiting. For the arrival of the one who will solve everything, once and for all.

   " Someone else is supposed to clear this up? " Ide asked

   " He'll be here soon. It's only a matter of time. There's only one entrance to this building. And the only way to look inside is by opening that door. That means he will either walk through that door or at least open it and peek through. "

   " And just who is this person anyway? " Matsuda asked.

   " X-Kira, the one who's currently using the notebook and killing people on Kira's behalf. He's bound to come here and bring the notebook with him, and then he'll see me and write down my real name. Or rather, he'll write down the names of everyone here who knows about the notebook and kill them. "

   " What? What are you saying? This isn't making any sense. What are you trying to tell us Near? That some other guy is gonna drop by with the notebook, poke his head in and kill us all? "

   " And you want us to sit back and let it happen?" Matsuda and Ide said with their voices strained.

   " Yes, that's correct. Now, listen carefully. If someone comes into the warehouse through that door, just let him in without resisting. If the door is open slightly simple act as if no one is there. "

   " But-But that's just crazy! "

   " He's already here! "

Everyone acted as if no one was there but I looked at the door and saw that it was slightly open by the little amount of light that came in. We waited for a little while. Actually, it didn't feel that long due to Matsuda pulling out his gun ready to shoot. Near's agents pointed theirs at him.

   " Hold it! Don't do anything."

   " Everything is fine. You won't die. " Near insisted.

   " How can you be so sure, Near? " Light asked

   " Because I modified the notebook. We took repossession of the notebook and replaced the pages. The person behind the door has been doing the killings for Kira. He also has been using exactly one page every day. Based on that, I was able to replace the page he'd use today, as well as all subsequent pages So that no one else would die. "

   " Y/n! "

I looked at Matsuda and saw how stressed he was. He was scared and afraid to die. Especially since we had been fighting for so long. 

   " Matsuda trust me. Put your gun down before a shot rings from the gun. I can not interfere here but I will say as your friend that you need to stay calm. "

I felt Lawliet's hand touch my lower back and I knew he wanted to put me behind him, but he couldn't. Mikami would see and then he would write my full name in the Death Note for being unfaithful. Matsuda lowered his hand but he didn't put his gun away.

   " On the other side of that door is X-Kira. My guess is, in roughly 40 seconds he'll look inside to see if we're dead. That's when we'll retrain him and seize the notebook. Whoever's name is not written down, must be Kira. "

   " It's true. Kira would be the only one that guy wouldn't try to kill. But still..." Aizawa said.

We waited for a few seconds before Light spoke up to Mikami outside. 

   " You there, outside. Have you finished writing down the names in the notebook? "

   " Yes, I've written them. "

   " Don't you think it's rather odd? " Near asked

   " Hmm? "

   " Why would he answer you so quickly, calmly, and honestly, when you asked him if he had written down our names yet? "

   " Who knows? Maybe he's just honest. Or confident he'll succeed or perhaps he's seen through your brilliant plan. "

   " Huh? In that case, we're in big trouble. " Matsuda said continuing to try and calm himself down.

   " Teru Mikami. If it's not too much trouble for you, won't you please come in and join us. I already know that you're the one who has been judging and executing people for Kira. If you've already written down our names then there shouldn't be anything to be afraid of, you can come right on in. " Near called.

   " Teru Mikami, is it? He's correct. There's no reason to hide from us. You can come in. " Light said.

I nodded at them and walked to the door. I saw Mikami still in his crouched position.

   " It's time Mikami. You can come into the building. "

   " Thank you. "

I opened the door wider and he walked inside. I walked back to my spot in between Mello and Lawliet. Mikami stood alone close to us.

   ' He's still in play on the chessboard. '

   " How many seconds has it been since you wrote down the first name? " Light asked him

   " Thirty seconds. 31...32...33...34...35...36...37...38! 39!"

   " Well, Near, looks like I win. " Light said smiling at Near.

   ' Here we go. Please let this game of chess play out the way it's supposed to. I've done all I can for five years. Please! '

   " Forty! "

   ' Who won? '