↬teaser

Huge clumps of tensed, jittery inhabitants of the solemn city of Panem bunched together in tight, tensed clusters

  Huge clumps of tensed, jittery inhabitants of the solemn city of Panem bunched together in tight, tensed clusters. Whispering, murmuring, fretting, crying; many ideas, rumors, and concerns emerged up high by such actions and more coming from the miserable people joining in front of the Justice Building. Families embraced each other with eyes wide with worry; guardians and armies entrusted by the Capitol stand at the entrance holding charcoal colored pistols that pointed straight up into the sky. The flags with the vividly painted seal of Panem blew vigorously in the wind in a menacing manner, thus commencing a period of apprehension and fear for the districts.

   None of them had the slightest smile.

  As time went by during this dreary, solemn interval, a baby in district 8 began to wail aloud of the exhaustion and utter fear. The young adolescent holding the infant lowered his head and clutched her tightly to her chest; he hushed her softly in the warmest tone he could muster.

  "Shh, shh, it's okay, baby girl, no one's going to hurt you, I promi-"

  HONK

  HONK

  The infant girl let out another ear piercing wail as the startling horn reverberates throughout the entire district, scaring the citizens terribly out of their skins. Even the adolescent male felt his heart in the verge of leaping out of his throat, yet he stood calm and rocked the baby even closer, thus covering his shirt with sticky snot. He let out a sharp huff.

  Stupid horn.

  It wasn't long until the men standing at the front of the Justice Building made way to reveal a large rectangular screen that lowered down with an irritating noise that made the people wince and twist their face in disgust. When the screen finally stopped in place, everything dropped to an abrupt silence. Nothing moved, no one spoke, nothing nor no human did anything for a solid minute...

  FLASH!

  A flash of white light shot out of the screen, causing everyone to holler in irritation; many ducked, and some tried to cover the blinding light with their two bare hands, yet the young male kept his gaze focused foward, awaiting for something to pop up, perhaps a reason for their "important" gathering.

   As soon as the light gave way, the face of an all too familiar face lit up the screen. The male frowned and narrowed his eyes with much indifference as the face of a wealthy, yet tyrannical and sinister man flashed on the screen with a smug look on his face.

  President. Vance.

  The man immediately let out an irritating cackle, holding a glimmer of evil in his eyes; it was already very clear to see that this meeting wasn't going to bring any sort of exultation today...

  "Welcome, welcome one and all again to see the glorious face of yours truly," he said with a sinister sneer. He smiled widely and wriggled around in what seemed to be his seat; everyone winced and shrank back a bit, anxious in what this president had to say today.

  "Today, April 20th, 3019, your dear, handsome President Vance has some very urgent news that cannot and will not be unheard of!" His voice reverberated like the horn just minutes ago from the screen. At this point, everyone was petrified; even the infant held a look of horror!

  The man just continued on, unveiling little by little the dark and malignancy of his "news."

  "As I've noticed, along with my trusted servants, this country has been showing a little slack in things. Many of you are not paying enough money to the Capitol, and a lot of you have been ignoring the duties and labors I have assigned to you all. I've kept letting it slide, and I gave you all fair warnings, but it appears it hasn't been enough. However, thanks to my fellow helpers, I found out just the way to get you guys back in shape once more, a way to snap you all awake and recall who the real boss is," he ended his last statement with a menacing scowl; he flattened the piece of paper he was reading before resuming his speech.

  "I have come to realize that almost a century ago, the city of Panem hosted an event live on television that claimed to encourage players to, 'fight to the death.' Well, according to some... resources, I have been able to collect more information about this valuable tradition, and I thought to myself, it must have been SUCH a pity to have overthrown the event of the Hunger Games. I mean, just get this: Players from the ages of 12-18, female and male tributes from each districts, competing to survive the atrocities of the arena for the simple fact that the districts have once tried to rebel across the Capitol! It definitely demonstrated a lesson to all the districts..."

  Many people at that instant began to scream, shriek, wail, or simply continued to remain petrified; the point was, almost everyone, including the adolescent, lost themselves in remembrance of the cruel Hunger Games.

  "He can't start them again!"

  "We're doomed if he does!"

  "Our children! What is this psychopathic man up to now?!"

  The president continued to finish the letter he had written, though it was vividly demonstrated that district 8 didn't want him to even say another word.

  "You filthy animals! Thinking that just because the rule of President Snow is over, it means you all can act you own the world, like you all mean something to the world. You are sorely mistaken. And you have been mistaken for too long. It's time for me, along with the rest of the Captiol, to show you slaves who has the final authority, the final power, to punish you for your foolishness, and to start a period of suffering for your deliberate disobedience!"

  The wailing and screams of the people rose up; the cries were more hysterical, the people who still stood on their feet had just fainted on the ground.

  The young adolescent looked around him, and he realized that he was the only one even close to being emotionally stable as he said his final words to disclose the meeting.

  "It's time to initiate the 76th Hunger Games !"